Thread: DC outside

DC outside

Hi, some of yo may have seen my last post a few minutes ago about DC under the floor. I thought I'd approach this topic in separate posts to keep one from getting crazy long. I'm going to be building a new shop in a few weeks, and I want to move my Clearvue Cyclone outside. It's an awesome machine, but it is noisy. Yesterday I had a revelation that if I put it outside, and I can get it high enough, I could actually put my steel drum dust bin on the DC upside down, so when I want to empty it, I jst move a wagon under it, take off the lid, and "poof", a wagon full of chips.

So, with that thought in mind, can someone who's put their DC (especially a Clearvue) outside offer any tips? My questions are:

1. The CV has an MDF cutout that mounts the motor to the cyclone and helps hang the thing from the wall. Did you modify that?

2. Did you build a roof or anything over the CV? If so, did you leave the CV hang under the roof, or did you close it in? I think if I leave it with just a roof, I'll end up with birds, bees, and all sorts of other creatures in there.

3. SInce I'm also planning on going under the floor with the DC, would you put the drop from the dc to floor level outside, or inside the building?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Since your profile doesn't reveal your location, an answer cannot be provided.
    In cold climates, an outside dust collector will draw heat from the shop. Not something that is very energy efficient.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    In cold climates, an outside dust collector will draw heat from the shop. Not something that is very energy efficient.
    That's true, unless you return the air into the shop back through the wall. Then heat/cooling loss is minimized.