Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm just curious......WHY???? Delta Bench Random Orbital Sander

I'm just curious......WHY???? Delta Bench Random Orbital Sander

I'm just curious.....WHY?.....was this tool made?????
    http://asheville.craigslist.org/tls/1209995456.html

It's a Delta Bench Random Orbital Sander (31-750?)
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Because, sometimes it's more efficient, easier, and safer to take the item to the tool. Especially good for small items.

I know a guy who mounted his ROS upside down using an inner tube for just this purpose.
    Last edited by Joe Hardesty; 06-10-2009 at 5:33 PM.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I haven't seen that one before. Must not have been a big seller.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Haven't seen it before either but have seen a couple books where the author put his sander upside down in a wheelbarrow innertube to get the same basic effect. I didn't know they were commercially available and I certainly wouldn't pay $100 for one ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I haven't seen those for quite a while. It seems I saw them at Lowes several years ago for a few months and then they disappeared from the shelves. Apparently not a big seller. I don't remember the price.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langford View Post
    I'm just curious.....WHY?.....was this tool made?????
    http://asheville.craigslist.org/tls/1209995456.html

It's a Delta Bench Random Orbital Sander (31-750?)
    Because the world will never run out of idiots that are willing to pony up the bucks to buy a new (and useless) power tool. Heck, it's similar with hand tools. The Jackson handsaw with "laser guide" is an excellent example.

To make this chick smile
    http://www.woodshopdemos.com/dbos1.htm

And these people happy
    http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Delt..._Sander_31_750

and this guy nearly ecstatic
    http://www.thisoldworkshop.com/delta-robs-review.htm

Yah I looked at it and said huh?
    But apparently some folks like it.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-11-2009 at 1:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    Because the world will never run out of idiots that are willing to pony up the bucks to buy a new (and useless) power tool. Heck, it's similar with hand tools. The Jackson handsaw with "laser guide" is an excellent example.
    We are real good at making people with more cents than sense, huh? :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Why was it made? Two words. Stupidity.

Hey, that's only one word! Proves my point, must be its contagious.

People buy that because they don't want to wrap a scrap piece of wood with sand paper and use their hands.

Soon there will be a machine that measures and cuts your wood and the days of the tape measure and table saw will be over.

Oh wait, that's right... My friend was laid off from his cabinet shop and replaced by a CNC machine.

Looks like once again I'm in the minority, and from the tone of the replies, looks like I'm not very smart either.

A couple of years ago I posted here to see if anyone knew if such a machine existed and came up dry. So I decided to purchase a 1/4 sheet detail sander and mounted it upside down. That works well but has no dust collection.

These machines are probably not needed in many shops, but if you are cranking out production of small items like I do, they are perfect for breaking (softening) edges. Much faster and more comfortable than trying to hold the item in one hand and the sander in the other.

Perry
    (minority of one and not very smart)

Blog Entries
    I couldn't agree with what Perry said any more.

I've clamped my ROS upside a time or two..... Not sure if I'd buy the machine, but the application is useful.

I dunno about being useless, they make absolutely huge table sanders..... Same idea. Just really big.

No, I wouldn't buy one either. I'll just flip my ROS over. That idea DOES make sense. No cost. Now where is my wheelbarrow......

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    Looks like once again I'm in the minority, and from the tone of the replies, looks like I'm not very smart either.

A couple of years ago I posted here to see if anyone knew if such a machine existed and came up dry. So I decided to purchase a 1/4 sheet detail sander and mounted it upside down. That works well but has no dust collection.

These machines are probably not needed in many shops, but if you are cranking out production of small items like I do, they are perfect for breaking (softening) edges. Much faster and more comfortable than trying to hold the item in one hand and the sander in the other.

Perry
    (minority of one and not very smart)
    So why wouldn't you use a small disc sander? They're the cats meow for model makers, and there's lots of brands and models out there. According to the review from "This Old Workshop",

"Without a doubt the least pleasant feature of the Delta ROBS, and I am assuming any tool of this type is the hand fatigue rate caused by the high rate of vibration. I found my hands buzzing and sore by the end of a five-hour session with my new ROBS."

Wow, are there a bunch of crass people on this forum!

The reason a disc sander might not be the ticket for some is that a disc sander will leave sanding marks just as a belt sander would. The large disc and fence would seem to make it superior to a random orbit sander (ros for you smart folks)in an innertube. If you want to have that kind of attitude, then you could say that a tablesaw is useless because you can mount a circ saw upside down to achieve the same effect.