Thread: Motor question

Question Motor question

Could I use a variable speed router controller with a washing machine motor to make a variable speed buffing wheel? I know you can't use them with a lathe motor, but I don't know about a washing machine motor. I'd like to have a variable speed buffer for buffing finishes.
    Thanks!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Router controler???

Most router controlers are made for what is called a "universal, or AC-DC motor" The ones with brushes on the sides. If your motor has brushes, It might work. If not it will most likely amke a LOUD smoking noise and BAD words will be said.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Chris,
    Seems to me an old treadmill mechanism would be just the ticket. Should have the variable speed built into the system.

Check your local craigs list adds and maybe even post an add that you are looking for an old treadmill that the motor runs but the frame/belt is bad.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Chris, I have a DC motor with arbor for buffing....it is variable speed ( 0 to 3500 ) and reverseable if youre interested
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

David,

If Chris isn't I might be.

Thanks for the info guys! Go ahead on David's motor Gary, I think I know where I might be able to get an old treadmill. Thanks again!
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?