Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small cheap indispensable tools you have to have

I thought of another one--A 6-in-1 screwdriver. Specificaly I like the Cobalt one Lowes sells for about $4. Cheap enough that I have one in the shop, one in the garage, one in the house, one in the truck and one in the camper (which doesn't make sense in retrospect since the truck is always there when we are using the camper.)

The rare earth magnet on a telescoping rod. Great for locating the screw that falls into "nowhere" and the occasional TS arbor nut that falls into the cabinet.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

My Dremel

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Childress View Post
    The rare earth magnet on a telescoping rod. Great for locating the screw that falls into "nowhere" and the occasional TS arbor nut that falls into the cabinet.
    Even better than that, I have the one with the retractable spring loaded shroud around the magnet so you don't get stuck on everything else on the way down.

Chris, where did you find that? I broke mine when it caught as you describe and need to get a new one.

Matt,

Snap On sells them, but the cost for their tools is high. Usually your 1st born.

sheet rock knife

I feel naked if I dont have one with me

- Kreg pocketscrew jig
    - Ebay-bought 12" F-clamps. Pack of 6 for $30 del.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Chris, where did you find that? I broke mine when it caught as you describe and need to get a new one.
    I got mine from snap on when I owned an auto shop years ago. That was the only place I had seen them. Now I see them all over. I am pretty sure that sears has them, even walmart/stanley. I can't tell you for sure, but I know I notice them all over now just in passing... one of my favorite tools ever.

An awl (or ice pick)

Here's a freebie. Those promotional plastic credit cards you get in the mail make the best glue-squeeze-out scrapers for inside edges and corners.

My speed square. I use it for all kinds of applications.

Blog Entries
    Speed square, combination square, Old 1" chisel, and a dewalt impact driver.

short cord

Mine is a silly little thing: A good quality 15' extension cord. Long enough to 95% of the tasks, short enough to not get in the way.

I'll second the plastic sheet goods carrier. That sucker comes in handy. So does the cheap-o speed square and drywall t-square. I bought a spring hammer at the tool show a few years ago. It is basically a spring with a weight on one end and a tool steel tip on the other. It is perfect for when your nail gun leaves the head a little proud. Lastly, the grab-it easy out is wonderful to have. I don't use it all the time, but let's just say that little sucker has done more to clean up my language than a year of church.