Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I just ordered my first jointer - the G0490

So, I just ordered my first jointer - the G0490

In the true fashion of "captain overkill" I decided I needed a jointer. Stock is hard to come by for reasonable prices around here but I can get pretty good deals on S2S or rough stock... so anyway, I scoured craigslist for 3-4 months but never found anything reasonable. I wanted a decent 6" jointer but then gave up.

So naturally for my first jointer, I figured I was happy with my "bigger is better" mentality with my unisaw (I debated whether to get a cabinet saw or a contractor's saw...) and so the 8" grizzly G0490 fit the bill. I'm excited, especially since I've been trying to "get by" by face jointing stock using a portable planer (which is a lot of work to use a sled with).

So, hopefully this thing doesn't suck. I don't have any excellent tools to critique the flatness of the beds or the squareness of the fence, so grizzly can really fleece me with some beat up jointer if they wanted to, i guess.

Dont worry about a fleecing Matt, I have had a 490X for about 6 months with zero issues. The tables were as flat as I could measure and it was set up perfect right out of the crate. I see you have a Unisaw already so that satisfying thump of a 3hp motor starting up wont be a big surprise. You will love it.

Mike

I think you made a great choic Matt. I have it's twin brother from Shop Fox and love it. I have several other Grizzly toola and am completely happ with all of them.

Matt,

I'll have the twin to it in my shop before I retire next year.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Matt,

I'm just finishing tuning mine up... bed and fence were flat BUT I needed to perform every adjustment in the book. I'm not complaining... it's expected to make some adjustments. Search around in here and you'll find threads about closing the dust chute and securing the motor (with clamps or a board as a wedge).

Besides those changes I needed to:

1. set the knives
    2. adjust outfeed table to be level with cutterhead body by adjusting the eccentric bushings
    3. adjust infeed table to be level with outfeed table by adjusting the eccentric bushings
    4. adjust outfeed table to be level with knives
    5. adjust the stops on the fence for accurate 90 (need to do the 45 still)

I'm just mentioning this because adjusting the beds may be necessary... unfortunately I got tired of attempting to find parallel across the two beds with short straight-edges and paid the $80 for LV's 50" straight-edge and am glad I did... spanning that distance made it very easy (and showed a good dip in the middle that wasn't apparent with an 18" straight-edge). I'd just consider it part of the jointer costs... and it will be useful time for readjusting and other tasks such as flattening benchtops, etc...

Just wanted to give you a heads-up... when I first ran my jointer with little adjustments it was terrible... but it works like a champ now that I fully understand the machine's adjustments.

Enjoy it!
    Charles
    Last edited by Charles Davis; 06-10-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Ive had the 0490X for a while now and its a great machine. Both tables were in good adjustment right out of the box. After a couple of tweaks to the fence and the dust chute it was ready to go.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Blog Entries
    Another G0490X owner. The machine was setup so well right out of the crate that I had to check it twice just to be sure I wasn't missing something; I wasn't. The fence had a small casting shadow that I now realize was not an issue. Grizzly had a replacement in my hands in a few days. You are about to change your whole approach to parts selection. Being able to mill my own parts has given me a lot of freedom with my material.

I did the chute close-up before I did anything else (it was easier). I was alone so I used a small rope and pulley setup to mount my motor. I also went directly to a link belt and elevated the belt guard. All these things have been done by others as well which is how I knew to just do them right off instead of having to go back. Glad I did. Thanks all you Creekers.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-11-2009 at 1:20 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've had my 490 for a year now.
    Excellent machine. It was a tent sale item. $99.00

After spending another 200 hundred for parts, I came out real well.

Blog Entries
    I've had the 0490X for almost a year. No Problems...Great machine
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

My Motor Fix

Hey,

Thought I'd share my motor fix... others have used a piece of lumber wedged above the motor or clamps to hold the motor in place. Without the fix the motor lifts slightly while running giving slack to the belt and you may hear the belt slap the belt guard as I have.

I found a foot long bungie does the job! This bungie is actually from a grizzly order... they should throw one in with the G0490. Anyways, it's simple... you don't have to waste a pair of clamps... or deal with the wood wedge (which would occastionally fall down for me... I realize I could find a larger piece to wedge).

It would be nice if we had one dedicated thread to all the tuning for the G0490... securing the motor, dust chute, link belt, etc... actually it would be usefull for any machine really... to be able to come to sawmill creek and read one definitive thread about tuning up each machine.

Anyone know if Sawmill Creek has ever talked about such a sub-forum and convention?
    Regards,
    Charles
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt, congratulations. I did the exact same thing a couplr of years ago and I'm very glad that I did. The G0490 is a very good machine.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Love my G0490! The only thing I may do is order the Shelix cutterheads when my current blades need replacing.

(I plan to do the same for my Delta 22-580 planer as well)
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Charles: You mentioned in one of your posts that you were able to adjust the eccentric bushings to align the infeed table with the outfeed table. I'm at this same point with my G0490 and I'm minutes from sending the whole thing back to Grizzly. The front bushing on the infeed table that resides under the blade guard is about as an impossible task to turn as I'm willing to deal with any more. I've removed the set screws, but because that bushing is buried beneath the blade guard frame I can't get in there with any wrench that I have on had. And buying a spanner wrench I'm not sure is going to help. There comes a point in the turning of that bushing there the base and the blade guard frame is in the way. What did you use to turn that bushing so that the tables align. I have everything else aligned, this is my last adjustment to make though.

Grasp the 2 flats on the side of the bushing with a pair of channel lock pliers.
    Or the 2 small grooves in front of the bushing, use a pair of snap ring pliers to turn it with.
    If those 2 tools aren't available to you, take the guard and the bridge casting [2 allen head bolts] off and you will have access to use a open end wrench to turn that bushing with.

i just bought a JET 6" with a 46" table .. its got the quick change knives.

Due in late next week. I am excited.