Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone actually use laser guides?

Does anyone actually use laser guides?

I work mainly outside in bright sunlight and usually I can't see the lasers on tools. Am I missing anything? I can understand that if you only want to cut something to plus or minus 1/8 th, the laser line might be useful. But if you want to do better than that, how can they be used?

For example, the laser on my sliding miter saw: the beam is much wider than any pencil line that I would ever use as a guide. An I'd have to stop and think every time about it's relation to the saw kerf. I don't understand how to adjust it.

My MS solves that by having a double laser line, so I know which side the waste side is. The problem I have now is that I bought a thin kerf blade, and the width of the double laser is an eight of an inch. I still have to take a moment to adjust when I use it.

I use the laser all the time on my Hitachi 10" SCMS.

The laser isn't razor thin, but it's thin enough that you center the cut between the laser mark and then you're accurate within a 32nd which is good enough by my own standards.

I really like the idea of double lasers and if my saw had that feature then I wouldn't have to move it to the left and right when cutting off various ends of trim.

I use the laser guide on my circular saw about every time I use it. It came with some orange safety glasses to make it easier to see in the daylight.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I have a laser on the drill press that I use every time I drill something. The one on the MS is ok but for stuff that I really want close I don't use it. To just cut close I will use it.
    When I cut sheet goods I use the one on the skill saw all the time.

I have the crapsman cordless circular saw with a laser, I rarely use the laser feature to cut. But I did use it to layout tiles. Pretty sweet layout guide that I didn't have to pay for. It shoots a small enough line.

I bought the aftermarket laser crosshairs for my drill press. I quite often drill 3" holes with a hole saw and the laser makes that easy to set up. Normally can't see where the pilot drill hits when the hole saw is down. I used to press down, lift to see where the dimple is. Repeat until I hit the center. PITA.

I have a laser that came with my drill press. Sometimes it comes in handy. Most of the time I don't use it.

I'll offer the disenting opinion, no, I don't use one. Seems to me that most of the tools that have lasers attached to them could easily be aligned by just lowering the bit/blade/cutter to the workpiece. I'm kind of old school though, so I might be missing something great...

Here's an unusual laser guide. In chair building, there's often a point at which you're drilling sockets for stretchers which go horizontally between the legs. You'd like the sockets to be in line. The traditional approach is to eyeball it. Sometimes that works. Me, I mounted a laser pointer on the back of the drill. I drill one hole, and when I'm drilling the second hole, I aim the laser dot at the middle of the first hole. This ensures that the two holes line up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't see the complete construction of that jig, but that is a neat idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I can't see the complete construction of that jig, but that is a neat idea!
    You see it all in the photo. There's a laser pointer (from an office supply store) fastened to the back of the drill. (Okay, it is a right-angle head on the drill; there wasn't enough distance between the legs to fit the drill itself.) As part of the fastening, I carefully aligned the laser beam with the drill bit. That is, the red dot on the rear leg is exactly on a line with the hole being bored by the bit at the front of the drill. Look carefully, and you can see the red dot on the leg to the rear of the drill. What you want is that the holes at the two ends of the spindle line up. It actually isn't structurally essential that the two holes be horizontal or anything else. You just need them to line up, and this laser guide helps accomplish that.

Hello,
    Nope - don't like most lasers.

IMHO - it's like giving a child a calculator w/out the child having any experience doing math.
    Yes - they can divide 1 by 3, but they don't know what 1/3 of something means.

I've promised myself that I'll shun using most lasers until I feel I'm at the point where I don't "need" one.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I prefer edge of the blade edge of the line. I recent got a hitachi SCMS with a laser, the laser is helpful but not accurate enough. However, Laser on a drill press! I think I would get alot of use out of that.

laser

I use the laser on my Makita scms whenever possible. Like someone said, you can't see it in bright light, but it is much quicker than pushing and pulling a board to the line.

I have a laser on my circ saw, which I rarely if ever use. The only time that I have thought a laser would be nice is on my CMS when I have been trying to match a specific angle on narrow stock. Just to have the laser line that I could at least make parallel to my cut line so I know the angle is correct. I would likely still line it up by using the blade. Maybe when I buy a nice one when my cheap one finally dies (which it keeps refusing to do).

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.