Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving up, or giving it another chance?

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Keith!

I missed all of the excitement, and I'm still scratching my head on how this, of all threads, could turn into a sexually and/or racially heated topic. Que sera...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries

A mixed blessing...

I'm making this post with a mix of joy and sadness...

The good news: I accepted a position with a company a few miles north of Baltimore, so I'm back in the rat race making some dough.

The bad news: I am no longer eligible for the SEA program (I'm assuming this is the case, though I cannot verify that as they still have not sent me anything (side note: While it's nice you get to keep all business profits while continuing to receive full unemployment checks, it's not as great a deal when they take more than a month to send you information and more than a month to let you know if you're allowed in the program... by that time, your unemployment bank is half empty)

It was a difficult decision, particularly since I wanted to get the laser side of the business going full time, but the finances were too shaky to take the risk. I have no major debt to speak of and a small nest egg built up, but the little woman was in need of a more reliable car, and I know I'll be pouring money into the house over the next few years for remodeling (just put in a new, top-of-the-line HVAC system last week to replace our aging system and get the tax credit). Had I been laid off 6-12 months after the date I was let go, the decision to get the laser thing rolling would have been a little easier (due to the extra savings).

My hats off to Steve (Scott) for trying to help a brother out in these tough times. More than once he has shifted a job my way, and it was a heavy heart that I told him 'no' for the most recent job (trust me, Steve, I was waffling on that one contemplating losing some sleep just to keep the job). Some day I hope to be able to pay it forward and/or work in tandem with another business offering complementary services, but for at least the next few months I need to make sure my mind is 100% in the game at work (it's a contract to perm position, and I make a lot more on the hourly contract than I do on the salaried perm position).

No, I am not selling my laser (even if not used in a business, it's still my toy), and I plan to continue visiting SMC on a (nearly) daily basis until such time as I am able to revisit the laser side. Until then, keep the shiny side down, and remember... it's better to burn out, than to fade away!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Congrats on the new job, Dan! I'm sure you will still have fun with your laser, in fact it's more fun when you're NOT trying to make money with it.

Please visit often, you're a good part of this forum!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong