Thread: Completed (finally) Crossed Saber Display

Completed (finally) Crossed Saber Display

First the back-story.
    Towards the end of last year, my brother asked if I could make him a horizontal display stand for two military sabers that would allow the sabers to cross in the middle. He sent me a few grainy photos from his cell phone to give me an idea of what he was talking about. He also sent me a few measurements (more like guesstimates) for the display. He also sent a few measurements for the sabers at different points along the saber. It sounded like a cool project and a quick glance on the internet didn't turn up anything so I decided to take on the project.
    I wanted it to be a Christmas present but after jotting a few ideas down, I couldn't figure out how to make it work without the sabers hitting one another when they crossed. It wasn't until I put the design into sketch-up that it all started to come together. By that time, Christmas had come and gone.
    After asking several times for advice from this site, I finally decided on a plan.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1026715#post1026715
    and
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1087030#post1087030.
    It wasn't long after starting the project that I found out that my woodworking skills hadn't caught up to my math skills. I got frustrated and shelved the project for a few months.
    I then found out my brother was moving back to Fort Bragg and was about to be re-deployed to Afghanistan but would be in town for a family get together before leaving. That was all the motivation I needed to get the project re-started and finished. I went back to the drawing board and simplified the design but kept the overall look I was going for.
    The stand is about 45" long by 8" wide and is a solid piece of 8/4 Ash. Two 5/8” dowels attach each vertical holder to the base so that they can be removed and packed flat for each of his moves (Army movers don't take the most care when packing and moving things). Each vertical holder also has black velvet lining the part that holds the saber. The finish is two coats of India ink followed by two coats of satin poly. I was very impressed with the India ink and will definitely use that again on other projects. The final picture is the display at his house with the sabers on it and was taken with the same cell phone he sent me the ideas with. He promises his wife will send better pictures later so I'll update this post when I get them. Until then, enjoy and sorry for the long back-story.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jimmy Williams; 06-11-2009 at 1:58 PM. Reason: correcting a formatting issue

That looks great Jimmy. I can see how it took a bit of thinking to display the sabers crossing but not touching. The India ink on ash looks great too.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Blog Entries
    Very nice Jimmy! An excellent way to display. All the Cavalry folks will be drooling!

Nice work!

Jimmy, the design really worked out very well. I love the grain of the ash showing thru the india ink. BTW, where did you get the india ink in a larger quantity? I have seen it in 2 oz. bottles, but looks like it would soak in pretty quickly and not go far.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Jimmy, the design really worked out very well. I love the grain of the ash showing thru the india ink. BTW, where did you get the india ink in a larger quantity? I have seen it in 2 oz. bottles, but looks like it would soak in pretty quickly and not go far.
    I bought the ink at a local art supply store http://www.dickblick.com/products/bl...oof-india-ink/
    I bought the one pint size thinking the same as you, that the ash would soak it up. I was surprised at how far a little went. I have a lot of the ink left over. I used a foam brush to spread it on and the cool thing was it went exactly where you put it. There was very little bleeding into the areas you didn't want it.
    As for the design, other than the obvious shape of the uprights, I found (by using pipe clamps) that you had to have one of the uprights sitting farther foward than the other as well.

Ed - Before my brother commisioned into the Army, he was in the National Guard and in a Calvary unit. One of the sabers is from that. He also has a pair of spurs that he will hang on the uprights as well.

Thanks Jimmy! I have marked that site.

Very nicley done, Jimmy. If asked to do that I would not have clue how to accomplish it so... very clever thinking. Was your brother also an 11-Charlie at one time as I see the Mortar banner. Perhaps it was you that were the "tube" man.

I must be unlucky as they never gave me a saber.. just a .45 Auto and an M-40 sniper rifle with match grade ammo. The bad news is they wouldn't let me keep it.

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Was your brother also an 11-Charlie at one time as I see the Mortar banner. Perhaps it was you that were the "tube" man.

Sarge..
    Not mine, all his. He was the company commander of Charlie company of 1-321 that is part of the 18th Field Artillery Regiment (ABN). He basically jumped out of airplanes with 155mm cannons. One of the sabers were given to him from that company when he left as commander. The other one is one I had give nhim when he was in the Cavalry unit and he wound up using it in his wedding to help cut the cake.

Thanks for the comments guys. I just have this great sense of accomplishment in taking his idea and turning it into a design and then finally bringing it to life.

Very nicley done, Jimmy. If asked to do that I would not have clue how to accomplish it so... very clever thinking. Was your brother also an 11-Charlie at one time as I see the Mortar banner. Perhaps it was you that were the "tube" man.

I must be unlucky as they never gave me a saber.. just a .45 Auto and an M-40 sniper rifle with match grade ammo. The bad news is they wouldn't let me keep it.

Sarge..
    Now let's figure out a way to display those two together.

I was thinking about a hanging set up for my .45 using super magnets...but havent gotten around to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Murray View Post
    Now let's figure out a way to display those two together.

I was thinking about a hanging set up for my .45 using super magnets...but havent gotten around to it yet.
    I already know how I would display them Jerry. The .45 Auto would be displayed on my hip or shoulder holster as I have a concealed weapons permit. The rifle would be displayed with a should sling strapped to my back for the long shot.

Regards...

Sarge..

I already know how I would display them Jerry. The .45 Auto would be displayed on my hip or shoulder holster as I have a concealed weapons permit. The rifle would be displayed with a should sling strapped to my back for the long shot.

Regards...

Sarge..
    I'd do the same with my M1 Garand and .45...but a nice display would be cool. I'm in the Peoples Republic Of Maryland so no such luck with a carry permit.

Slick, Man, very slick! Yes, I see that you did simplify the math and cutting! Gee, I burned a lot of time for you!! haha

Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

That display sure is sharp! Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Slick, Man, very slick! Yes, I see that you did simplify the math and cutting! Gee, I burned a lot of time for you!! haha

Yeah, sorry about that Chris. I could never figure out how to make the cuts repeatable and still matchup in the corners. I guess my woodworking skills haven't caught up to your math skills at this point. I do appreaciate the time you put into it though if that is any consolation?