Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Mesquite Bar

Custom Mesquite Bar

Hi All, It has been quite a long time since I have posted. I have been lurking daily. I have been watching the mesquite post in the classifieds, nice stuff by the way, and thought of this project I finished for a client not to long ago. The top slab is one of a bookmatched pair and is almost 4" thick, 28" at wide end, and 94" long. Its brother was used for a vanity in their guest bath. The doors below are all individual slabs, no glue ups. I was fortunate to find thick,wide boards. I do a lot in Mesquite and love the wide boards, wish I could take advantage of the lumber Gerry has to offer. Anyway, thought you might be curious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Beautiful.. love that bar top..

Sarge..

Very nice work! The stone really sets off the mesquite. Really like the color, too - what is the finish?

Thanks John, The finish they requested was BLO and wax. I used a dark oak wax to "age" a little quicker. I told them about the maintenance on a wax finish, especially a bar top and that is what they wanted. I have to say it really came out nice, the low luster works perfectly with Mesquite.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Great job and great look. That is really nice.

I love mesquite...I wish my wife liked it. I think it is too rustic looking for her but that is what I love about along with the color.

Fabulous work and nice pieces!

BLO and wax and that was it, eh? I'm curious about the regimen you gave them for this finish...it has about zero water protection....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Man- The mesquite looks superb. Wonderful job.
    I noticed the mesquite looks darker then what we have down here in Texas.
    Is that because of the wax???
    Or is it black mesquite?
    We have honey mesquite here and tends to be lighter with a little more red in it.

I couldnt tell by the pictures, but did you have some voids to fill?
    If so, what did you use?

Thanks for the photos
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

I spent 20+ years in various parts of Texas where my love of Mesquite took off. The Mesquite I used was Texas Honey, the large slabs came from the Austin area and the large doors from Cuero (sp?). I used to mill as much as I could when I lived there but now I have to rely on some key mills for supply. The darker brown color is indeed due to the wax and was at the request of my client. The top had virtually no voids but the doors were filled with System 3 epoxy colored with trans tint -- works great!!

Chris -- I know about the water protection and repeatedly informed them of it. Couldn't talk them out it. I basically soaked these pieces in BLO and gave them weeks and weeks to dry. The wax is multiple layers with the first coat burnished in and the last coat of "bowling alley" wax. I am not sure if it does but it seems to dry harder. My guideline for them is - if water even thinks about not beading up then it is time to wax. I am guessing once every two months depending on use. It will be interesting to monitor this and see where we are in a year or so.

Thanks for the comments.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------

Martin,

Pick up a copy of Bob Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing and have them read about the BLO and wax finish...you could make a few more bucks putting down a nice wiping varnish or oil/varnish mix for them!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I suggested the wiping varnish finish and even showed a sample. They have a desk with the BLO/wax finish and love it. I guess I should have shown them Flexners or Jeff Jewitts information. Live and learn. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------

Martin, wonderful job. I've never worked with Mesquite so I have nothing to compare it with but your finish turned out really nice. Did you have to scribe everything to fit or was the stone installed after you did the bar and upper cabinet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

that stonework is amazing. no offense to your wood skills.

The stone was applied after the bar! Wow, what a nightmare it would be trying to scribe 4" thick bar top to that stone surface.

I agree, the stonework is amazing, it really adds to the presentation.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------

Martin, thats fantastic looking!! Great job!!
    Tell me, does that mesquite look kinda like cherry? Ive never seen it up close and personal and I see alot of things here on SMC made from it. Sometimes it looks like cherry sometimes it doesnt. That is one beautiful bar!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Jim thanks for the comments. I would venture to say that the Mesquite that resembles cherry is Texas Honey Mesquite. There is also black mesquite which is much browner in color. Also the color is largely dependent on the region of the country that it is harvested. It will vary a lot even throughout Texas. I have found the best color comes from SE Texas and gets browner as your move west. I think it has to do with soil and humidity. Just guessin', no research other than experience.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------