Thread: Stupid Router Table Question

Stupid Router Table Question

I realize the following is probably a stupid question, but I'm new to woodworking so here goes...

I'm planning a project that will require several frame and panel pieces so I'm going to build a router table to cut the panels. I've been researching router lifts and am wondering if I need to take the size of the opening in plate into consideration. For example, some of the panel cutting bits I've looked at are rather larger (approx 3 inches), but some of the router lifts (ie Woodpecker) only have a 2.5" opening. I thought the best way to cut the panels would be to make multiple passes and raise the bit each time. If the bit is larger then the opening I wouldn't be able to lower it. Is this something I should be worrying about when selecting a router lift? Are there other ways (like moving the fence) that would work?

Thanks,

Drew

Yes you should be able to raise the bit through the opening. I don't think a panel raising bit used above the table would be a good thing, but it may work with the fence. BTW this is a very valid question and in no way stupid.

I think you are looking at the size of the insert plates on the Woodpeckers lifts, when running a panel raising bit, no insert is used. The hole in the lift plate is large enough for the bit to fit through.

Raising the bit and making multiple passes will work, only if the bit doesn't have a backcutter.
    I prefer to move the fence and leave the bit the same height, to risky to raise it to far & end up with a loose panel. You can't cut the panel to deep because the bits have bearings to limit how far in the stock will go.

Ed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtFvFwsaHY

This is a good tutorial on the subject.

Greg

Anyone used the vertical raised panel bits? They look less intimidating but I guess run out and a perfectly mounted router would be more of an issue.
    RD

Ed's right, the opening with out a ring is 3 1/2" I think their largest ring insert is 3 1/8", but I'm saying that strictly from memory. I still need to get a full set of the inserts. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Anyone used the vertical raised panel bits? They look less intimidating but I guess run out and a perfectly mounted router would be more of an issue.
    Was concerned about spinning such a large bit. Built a horizontal router station from scrap material and am pleased with the results.

Greg

Vertical bits

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Haven't used them, but I've seen references by folks who found them less intimidating and easier on the router, because you're spinning a similar quality of metal in a smaller radius. You do need a taller fence, but melamine should work for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew A. Dunn View Post
    I realize the following is probably a stupid question, but I'm new to woodworking so here goes...

I'm planning a project that will require several frame and panel pieces so I'm going to build a router table to cut the panels. I've been researching router lifts and am wondering if I need to take the size of the opening in plate into consideration. For example, some of the panel cutting bits I've looked at are rather larger (approx 3 inches), but some of the router lifts (ie Woodpecker) only have a 2.5" opening. I thought the best way to cut the panels would be to make multiple passes and raise the bit each time. If the bit is larger then the opening I wouldn't be able to lower it. Is this something I should be worrying about when selecting a router lift? Are there other ways (like moving the fence) that would work?

Thanks,

Drew
    Drew,

Welcome aboard!!

The only stupid question is the one's that's not asked!

Most of the router plats today incorporate a ring system combined of various sizes to suit the users needs. Some simply snap in place while others rotate and lock with a small tool or spanner wrench. I personally have not seen a router bit larger than the plate opening.

When using larger panel bits it's very important to use these bits in the vicinity of 10,000 to 12,000 rpm. I usually rout my styles and rails in 3 passes. Keep the stock moving through the cutter at a decent speed, enough to hear the motor working. If you go too slow you begin to burn the cut area...

The link below will provide you with some really good information. It's a bit long but this kid does a great job showing and explaining the how to's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtFv...ED19C&index=13
    Last edited by Bob Genovesi; 06-12-2009 at 2:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Ed's right, the opening with out a ring is 3 1/2" I think their largest ring insert is 3 1/8", but I'm saying that strictly from memory. I still need to get a full set of the inserts. Jim.
    Minor detail but, the Woodpecker opening is 3-9/16". I got LOML to buy me a full set of rings for Christmas one year and am glad to have them .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler