Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nickname?

Nickname?

The "Alias" thread got me wondering about nicknames. Do you have one (or more)? Interesting or funny story behind it?

Until I started school I was Susie or Suz. I really liked Susie and think I would have turned out differently had I stuck with that one. I seem to be a magnet for nicknames. I'm Doodlebug, or just Bug, to my daddy (don't anyone dare!). High school boyfriend's dad called me Half Pint. Everyone in the famliy was over 6'. Others on the list - B-baby, Baby Blues, Blender, Lindy, Belin, Little Bit, and Strut. I have a couple of others I won't mention here.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Ha Belinda,

This sounds like a fun thread! Aside from Hey Jude (with the accompanying tune half the time), let's see: Judilee, Prude, Prudence McGee, (because I and a couple other girls I hung out with were considered 'wild' in college, HA, NOT. It's very easy to be considered 'wild' when you go to a Christian college, simply by laughing, dancing, without being 'wild' really at all, just fun.) Have a 30 year college reunion coming up this Fall and it is totally funny what people say at 50 they'd keel over anyone knowing at 20, hence, they found out I was far less wild than they ever thought, I suppose comparatively speaking as folks tell all kinds of apparently true tales of their past adventures in school.

Childhood nick names included Judd for the Defence and Bird-Legs. Ha, Bird-Legs would still apply. Jude-ster because I like sports cars and driving fast. But Jude's fine with me. I don't think I had any nicknames I couldn't share come to think of it.

Be fun to see what people share!

Jude

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Kingery View Post
    Childhood nick names included Judd for the Defence and Bird-Legs.
    Jude
    LOL. Jude, you reminded me of another one. I dated a guy in high school who called me Pond Scoggin (that's a bird) because I had these long skinny legs. Thankfully the rest of me finally caught up with my legs.

Polly Purebred, given to me by a really mean kid in the 7th grade.

Hotlips because I was a huge fan of M*A*S*H.

Ya Ya name Princess Sue Bee Honey
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 06-12-2009 at 1:31 PM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Chooch!

Self named because I couldn't pronounce Mitchell when I was little. My mom still calls me this.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Chooch!

Self named because I couldn't pronounce Mitchell when I was little. My mom still calls me this.
    Mitchell that is absolutele TOO CUTE!

Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Glenn doesn't lend itself to nicknames. Of course, I had nicknames in highschool that can't be mentioned here. The crowd I ran with tried for the most insulting and inappropriate nicknames; variations of which stuck to some on into college.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

Funny you should mention that, my husband, being Glen, had one nickname in college that I can't mention here, albeit funny! His other nickname I still call him from time to time; Glenjamins or Glenjamin Franklin Pierce. That just made me laugh you said that about college names for Glen(n) that can't really be mentioned, ha!

Have a good one!

Jude

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    ...some 40 years ago my fraternity brothers called me Harpo...

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

Well...for me it's the obvious "Fitz"....

and then I'll own up to the fact I come from a long line of hillbillies. My Dad's name was Paul......my middle name is Paul.......all of my Dad's relatives still call me "Kenny Paul"........

Please don't!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Jamie is my nickname, my given name is James. After two boys, my mom wanted a girl, so she split the difference and called me Jamie, since they had already decided to name me after my uncle if I was a boy. I think if my mom hadn't really wanted a girl so badly, they'd probably be calling me my uncle's nickname, Bud. Not sure if I'd like that or not.

My siblings call me Herman, and some friends call me Roger, if you had been present at certain times in my life you'd know why.

depending on what day it is, my wife likes to call me the mean so-and-so that ruined her life! that count?

-matt
    Last edited by Matt Ellis; 06-12-2009 at 2:28 PM.

Nickname...

Diller! My Father's name was Phil so I was named after him, but my Brothers decided that Diller was fitting for my name.

Fun post Belinda!

Phyllis

Well, Chris is obviously short for Christopher so nothing exciting there.

My younger brother was called "Gringo" by my father but he was the only one who used that name.

My daughter, Francesca, goes by "Frankie". I purposely planned this one as I like masculine nicknames for girls.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have an initial for a first name. A looong time ago, back in the dark ages, they used to fill out your driver's license by hand. So, since I have only an initial for a first name, my driver's license was written as

P(only) Michael Henderson

So I get stopped by a cop for speeding. Since the driver's license is handwritten, and not that legible, the cop writes the ticket out to

Ponly M. Henderson

For a while after that, I was known to my friends as Ponly.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have an initial for a first name. A looong time ago, back in the dark ages, they used to fill out your driver's license by hand. So, since I have only an initial for a first name, my driver's license was written as

P(only) Michael Henderson

So I get stopped by a cop for speeding. Since the driver's license is handwritten, and not that legible, the cop writes the ticket out to

Ponly M. Henderson

For a while after that, I was known to my friends as Ponly.

Mike
    That's interesting, as I know a guy whose first name is 'J'.