Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nickname?

Well I of course am really James but go by Jim, Jimmy, JD (middle name is Daniel). My good friends for the last 20 years or so have all called me "Tate" or "Tater". Its a long story!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

This brought back alot of memories....besides the obvious- Country- all thru school and college, my grandfather called me Roundboy.

Hello,

I picked up the nickname Albert from my dad.

After a cartoon character named Albert.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 06-14-2009 at 7:34 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Hulk....[my sons were young and thought I was the strongest man]

Eagle eye...back when my eyes were good.

Smoothie...the day I shaved my beard off and went to work and no one knew who I was for about 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Hello,
    Just wanted to say, I have long admired your sig line. Off topic, but my thread, so I took some liberty.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Well I of course am really James but go by Jim, Jimmy, JD (middle name is Daniel). My good friends for the last 20 years or so have all called me "Tate" or "Tater". Its a long story!!
    Is the "long story" anything like teh Ron White tail of getting kicked out of bar in New York City. "You got me, you got the Tater Salad."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Is the "long story" anything like teh Ron White tail of getting kicked out of bar in New York City. "You got me, you got the Tater Salad."
    Well they've been calling me tater for a long time before Ron came along with his routine.
    There was some beer and some more beer and a guitar. I started doing impressions and one was of little Jimmy Dickens who they call..............Yep they call him tater. So since my name is Jimmy too the name just stuck right away and anyone who's known me for any time at all calls me Tate or Tater ever since!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Sparky...

Just dont tell anyone. I haven't been called that in twenty years except by my brothers.

My brother Greg had two unusual nicknames while growing up. Early on it was Wuggy cuz my lil sis couldnt say the G sound so well and Greg came out Wegg. Later on he was in high school it was Tinker,, Think Partridge family

My high school days I was called mat dog instead of mad dog, I was a bit intense and aggressive back then. The reputation had it's benefits... In collage the nick name webster started to stick; apparently it's cause I had an answer for everything... My wife calls me chicken for what reason I have no idea. But she's not one to make up logical nick names. She calls one of the cats pussy titties! (and no it's not for that reason) I've asked where the heck did she get that one from and she has no idea, it just sort of evolve out of nothing... And the other cat she calls mini mouse!?!?
    It's all fun and games till someone loses a nut.

With my last name and growing up in St. Louis after having moved here from Pittsburgh, Stan was pretty much of a natural. However, I have another one that only my wife calls me:

We went to Mexico and the resort we stayed at catered mainly to Europeans and all of the food was listed in English and German. We were sitting at dinner one evening and ended up with a bunch of drunk Germans who were all talking in German and laughing and it was easy to tell that we were the butt of the conversation. One of them then asked for the roasted pork, but he asked in German. I recognized the word "Schweinefleisch" from seeing the word on the menu so I took a chance and picked up the platter and passed it to him. The look on his face was priceless. He said "Danke" and I replied "Bitte" (you're welcome) - one of about 3 German words I happen to know (the other 2 being Bosch and Volkswagen).

They were then under the impression that I spoke German and understood everything that they had been saying about us. One of the women then started talking to my wife in English. She asked about us and my wife, having had a few drinks, told them that her name was Trixie, mine was Pepe and that I was a professor of European Languages at St. Louis University. We then excused ourselves and went to the bar. The German lady came up the next day and apologized profusely about dinner the night before. By then, my wife was feeling bad (and sober/hungover) and told the lady that our names were not really Trixie and Pepe and that in reality, I designed swimming pools and fountains and she was quite surprised that I even knew the German word for "you're welcome".

Luckily, the German lady had a great sense of humour and never told the loudest-mouthed German guy the truth. It seemed like we were constantlly running into them and he kept buying us drinks and the German lady just sat back and smiled.

14 years later and my wife still calls me Pepe.
    Last edited by Stephen Musial; 06-16-2009 at 1:46 PM.

I've been Dabo to my family as far back as I can remember don't know where it came from other than a short version of David (think JohnBoy from the Waltons). Other than family my wife and a few childhood friends no one else calls by me that.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Musial View Post
    14 years later and my wife still calls me Pepe.
    I loved the story! I can just it playing out in my head!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I'm 'the leg'.

Broke my leg white water rafting on the Dead River in Maine during a big water release about 5 or 6 years ago.

Got tossed far from the boat in a big hit. The hole we hit was called 'unemployement hole' because normally a guide loses his job for going through it and losing rafters. Had to 'nose and toes' it for about 200 yards, praying for my life the whole time. I actually passed two guys on the river bank, about 10 yards from me, and prayed they had a rope to throw me. They didn't. I'm not a very religious man but that's how serious this water was. High class 4 and class 5 rapids all day.

When they finally reached me to pull me back in the boat, I was down river from the boat, and when they hauled me back in, my leg had become trapped between the bottom of the boat and a rock which broke my leg right below the knee.

Finished the trip (about 2 more miles) since there was no choice. No other way off the river at that point. Got back to the campsite, took a few shots of jack, went and had dinner (no way was I missing that freshly roasted suckling pig that had been slow roasting all day). Then we finally took the hour ride to the hospital in Skowhegan where their Xray tech on duty was unable to find the break after an hour of xray attempts.

Back home at the hospital in Cambridge, MA, one Xray and 5 minutes later they identified the break and I was on my way to healing.

To this day I am still very good friends with the river guide who was leading our boat that day and was the one who pulled me in hard enough to break my leg. I thanked him for that because the next set of rapids beyond where I was pulled in is a place that a number of folks have died in.

When the rafting company owner came over to see me, I just said don't worry about it. I payed to play, and those are the risks.
    Last edited by Michael Poller; 06-16-2009 at 4:23 PM. Reason: spelling correction