Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree on the house...

Tree on the house...

Well, I got a lot of wood to cut and turn. A sixty foot or so hickory tree fell in my back yard tonight during a thunderstorm. It hit the back of my house and crushed the breakfast room where I used to make all the pictures posted here. As I write this it is still on my house with 4 tarps over the damage.
    No one was hurt and we hope to get this thing cut up and off the house sometime this weekend.

On the bright side I will have bunches of hickory to turn, but it is going to be a while before I can get to it.

I'll try to post some pics after daylight tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Don Carter; 06-13-2009 at 9:45 AM.
    All the best.

Don

That's the spirit. How's that saying go, when life hands you "stuff", make compost for the garden. Good luck with the repairs, and work carefully.

Might be some turning wood available in the Austin area too after last night.
    Richard in Wimberley

Glad to hear no one was hurt. Make good use of the wood.

That's the spirit...make that tree sorry it ever messed with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    That's the spirit...make that tree sorry it ever messed with you!
    You certainly seem to have the right attitude about the whole thing. And I couldn't have said it any better myself. Show that tree who's boss!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Don - sorry to hear about the damage! I'm sure all you needed was one more challenge! Hope the house is repaired easily and cheaply! Look forward to seeing what you turn out of the wood that mother nature has thrown your way!

Glad to hear no one was hurt!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I hope you get a friendly insurance adjustor.

Always look at the glass half full, otherwise life sucks.

Don...glad nobody was hurt! Good luck with the removal.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

......are "its an ill wind that blows nobody any good"
    neil

The wooden Potter

It is like "Hald full" or Half empty"

Don, It is terrible that your home was damaged but a blessing that no one was hurt, the lathe too! So the half full part is the positve way to look at a bad situation. Take care and turn some wood directly from "MOTHER NATURE" !

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Don,
    We are so thankful no one was hurt. You have the right attitude and you will have a story to tell with each turning you complete from the downed tree. Here's hoping your insurance is adequate.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I have edited my original post with some pics. Got a tree service coming over this morning to start the process of getting this monster off the house.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. A good friend of mine is the insurance adjuster. My agent was over here last night within two hours of the tree falling. There is something to living in these small towns.

Thanks guys, I've got wood to cut.
    All the best.

Don

good luck Don. it seems that there have been some really nasty storms this year in the south. when I drive around Atlanta I see damage like that all over the place. glad you are looking at the positive side of having more wood.
    Ben

Don sorry to hear about the damage but glad to see your spirits are up. Looks like lots of wood to turn for sure.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.