Thread: Finishing Shop Addition

Finishing Shop Addition

My original shop is 20 x 28. A few years ago, I put on a 20 x 24 cold storage addition for storing my tractor. Now, I am selling my boat and this area will be empty, except for all of my rough cut lumber.

I am planning on finishing this area off now that the cost of materials has come back down for a while. The big questions is what do I do with the walls. The original shop is finsihed with drywall. I plan to do the ceiling in drywall. The options for the walls are drywall, OSB (painted), pine tongue and groove, and ship lap. On another forum, someone posted about a new material that is plywood on the bottom and peg board on top.

I live where it is a little chilly (I am a little sarcastic) where snow is on the ground from the end of November until mid April. The shop is a pole building, so the walls will have 6" insulation fiberglass, R-19. The ceiling will be 12" insulation fiberglas, R-38. The ceiling gets a coarse of 2 x 4s on 16" center. The real fun part is filing in the walls with 2 x 4s. This time I think I will put them on 2 foot centers.

2. wall material

I would use some kind of wood product. That way when you need to hang something you don't have to look for a stud to attach to.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Shay View Post
    I would use some kind of wood product. That way when you need to hang something you don't have to look for a stud to attach to.
    Exactly what I was thinking. That is my problem with the drywall on the existing shop walls.