Thread: Oshlun blades

Oshlun blades

I have read here how some are quite impressed with the Oshlun blades. I am looking at the dado stack. Of those of you who own one, what advantages - disadvantages are there between the 6" and the 8" besides the nominal price difference and additional cut depth? If you own the 6" and wished you purchased the 8", please explain why?
    Also how many of you have used their standard 40 or 50 tooth combo blades? Do they compare in cut and quality to Freud?
    The reason for these questions is I have all thin kerf blades from my previous TS (craftsman) and with my recently acquired Walker-turner table saw - I feel I can use a full kerf blade but as you all know cost is an issue.
    Not sure if replacing my thin kerf Freud blades will make that much of a difference but have never used a decent full kerf blade.
    Last edited by Greg McCallister; 06-14-2009 at 9:03 AM. Reason: typo's
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain

HI Greg - I've got an Oshlun 40T blade that I'm pleased with. It's a really great deal at $25, and I'm impressed with the value...it'd still be a decent value at twice that IMO, but probably not my first choice at $50. You'll easily get glue ready edges from it, and crosscuts will generally be acceptable. It's not at the level of my Infinity Super General or WWII, but it's far better than 1/4 as good at 1/4 the price. It kicks butt compared to most other cheap blades like Skil, Irwin Marathon, Oldham, Vermont American, Delta Sidekick, etc. In absolute terms, I'd rate it as a solid "good" to "very good", as opposed to "excellent" for the Infinity and Forrest. Freud makes a lot of blades...I'd say the Oshlun is roughly as good as my Freud LU86 40T, but probably not to the level of the Fusion.

I've had good experiences with my better TK blades, so I'm not sure you'll get better cuts due to that aspect.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 06-14-2009 at 10:01 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have the Dado Stack and couldn't be happier! Nice smooth dado's and all the blades are clearly marked. It was well worth the money.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Can't comment on any other Oshlun other than the 40 T which Knotscott tempted me to try. He rated it good to very good in the price range. For $25 I rate it Excellent. As far as the $60 price ranges I have used which is Amana.. CMT.. Freud I rate it just as good as any. I cannot compare it to my Infinity Super General or the Freud Fusion which are both 30* degree ATB with side grind and around $100.

It can't compare to the cross-cut from those blades as it is standard 20* degree ATB but.. IMO it is a better rip blade than both those as they are basically CC blades with extremely smooth surfaces as you would get on a 60 or 80 T cut. That is important if you only basically use one blade as many do. I prefer 20 -24 T to rip and change them several times daily but most will rip more than CC so.. an excellent choice for a one blade does it all and it does it for $25. That's a lot of bang for your buck.

Sarge..

Thanks everyone for your replies... Looks like for the money, worth giving a try.
    Still stuck on whether to get the 6" or 8" dado stack.
    Decisions ....decisions...
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain