Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Best portable drill driver??

Quote Originally Posted by John Harden View Post
    I have the Festool 15+3 and would not recommend it. Light weight, very powerful, tons of features, but the deal killer for me is their proprietary snap in driver system. Standard snap in drill bits, countersinks, and driver heads won't work well (or at all) with their system. Tried to use the angle attachment the other day, and no go as I don't have any of their drill bits. Wound up using my Panasonic cordless with a 12" extension. I should have done my homework before buying it. Oh well.

My favorite by far is a Bosch Impact driver. Mine is an older, NiMh model, but it has tons of torque and the batteries last forever on the thing. The newer models with Lithium Ion batteries must be cordless drill Nirvana.

If I could do it again, I'd save the $600 I spent on the Festool and get a Bosch and still have $300+ left over for wood. Now that I think about it, I think I'll offload the Festool and do exactly that!!!

Regards,

John
    Your post is full of misinformation. It certainly is possible to use 1/4 hex bits in the Festool system while still being able to use their proprietary system when it makes sense.
    True, the Apex style drivers do not fit, but they do not fit any other drill mentioned so far either. They do fit impact drivers or you can just chuck them up in the keyless. Tell me what is different with other drills regarding this? The Festool proprietary system is an improvement over the Apex system while not excluding the use of the short hex bits within the system. Best of both worlds.

Also, the right angle attachment allows you to use their keyless chuck, thereby allowing any drill bit that could be used in a normal position. Additionally, you can still use their proprietary system in the right angle mount if you want to get into even tighter corners.

Just saw at Lowes the bosch 12V LiIon Pocket drivers twin pack combo sale for 149.00. If you want light weight and some power, look at these. they are on my christmas list...for when I don't want to heft the Makitas around.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

I was in a situation like Jerry

I've had a P-C 12 volt for 10 years or so. Had the batteries rebuilt by battery rebuilders in 2006. The batteries are still fine. I got in on the Bosch buy one (PS40 impact driver) and get one free (PS20 dril/driver). The impact driver is wonderful for furniture-type work, driving 1"-2" screws. Was in Lowes buying something insignificant and saw their display for the Bosch 18 volt LiIon combo. To rip off an older commercial, it spoke to me. It said "Buy Me!!!". So I did. $199 for drill & driver. Brought 'em home and charged up a battery. Tried the drill, chucked a 1/2" twist drill in the drill and got a chunk of pine 2X4. Yup, that works. Put a phillips bit in the impact driver and got a 2" dry wall screw. HOLY CATS!!! Thing made that screw DISAPPEAR!!. It'd take me some practice with the impact driver if I were trying to finesse a smaller screw. I haven't tried a lag yet but I suspect large screws & largs are the proper use for 18 volt impact drivers. As I use the 18 volt impact driver I may have more confidence in my finesse with it. I did see where Makita has a 3 speed 18 volt impact driver with variable speed within each range. I think I see the logic behind 3 speed transmissions in impact drivers now.

There's an embarrasment of riches out there in cordless tools today. Any of the top tier manufacturers offer a product far ahead of those on the market a few years ago. What color do you like best?

Curt, I visied the local BORG earlier this week and they had a mock workbench set up to test the various drills. WOW!! I couldn't believe the power of the 18V lithium in an IMPACT drill. The conventional drills are powerful too but these impact drills are another level. I drove a lag screw deep into a 2X4 in seconds. I'm very impressed. Didn't think I needed an impact drill but they are great..Could've used one inlast week's project..I agree with your comments. ThanksOW
    Jerry

Small Makita gets my vote

For 'most' of my drill work, I prefer a smaller drill (easier to work overhead, on ladder, tight spaces, etc). More power is not always needed.

My first drill was a Dewalt 14.4V. Very durable, plenty of power.

My second was a Makita 18V Li ion, two speed (the black/white model that comes with the smaller battery pack. Which also will take the full size Li ion batteries.

My third is a full size Makita 18V LiIon. I had a project that needed a hammer drill, and for this its useful.

By far the one I reach for the most often is the smaller Makita.

I have had two batteries go bad. One was replaced at no charge at the service center. I have also had the battery charger fail.

I love the drill and would buy again, but I have to warn of the battery/charger issue I have experienced.

(ps: impact drivers are definitely worth a look!)

I've had my Makita 18V LXT Lion for a year or so. Love it. I also have the 18 volt Milwaukee. It works very well but I like the Makita better. Sort of costly but you get what you pay for.

Dar

Festool

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mann View Post
    Your post is full of misinformation. It certainly is possible to use 1/4 hex bits in the Festool system while still being able to use their proprietary system when it makes sense.
    True, the Apex style drivers do not fit, but they do not fit any other drill mentioned so far either. They do fit impact drivers or you can just chuck them up in the keyless. Tell me what is different with other drills regarding this? The Festool proprietary system is an improvement over the Apex system while not excluding the use of the short hex bits within the system. Best of both worlds.

Also, the right angle attachment allows you to use their keyless chuck, thereby allowing any drill bit that could be used in a normal position. Additionally, you can still use their proprietary system in the right angle mount if you want to get into even tighter corners.
    I disagree. Festool chose a proprietary chuck arrangement in hopes of selling their line of bits, drivers, etc. They chose this path over making the tool convenient for the consumer.

Would have been better to have just used standard fittings.

Regarding the right angle attachment, I didn't have room to put the keyless chuck on top of the right angle attachment. If Festool had used a standard snap in chuck arrangement like my Bosch, etc., it wouldn't have been a problem.

Standard hex head drill bits won't stay in as they do not lock in place.

Sounds like you really like your Festool, which is great for you. If I could do it over, I'd not have bought mine. That's just my .02 and it is totally okay with me if you disagree.

Regards,

John

I've taken a hybrid approach since I don't have a need for multiple drills. Like most hybrid solutions its not a best fit for all applications but its a good enough fit for almost all of them.

I just picked up the DCD960KL. Its DeWALT's full size premium drill/driver w/ 18V XRP lithium ion batteries. The drill weighs a full pound less than the same drill w/ 18V XRP Nicads. At 5.25 pounds its no feather but its not a lead weight either. Plus it can do anything (450UWO) I can throw at it. Small or large. I like it very much - could be the last drill I buy for a long time.