Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best portable drill driver??

Best portable drill driver??

Been using my old PC 12 volt drill now for over 10 years (one of batteries now failing) along with 3 wired drills which I generally prefer and a heavy duty Milwaukee also wired. Facing some new projects, interior remodeling, building cabinets etc and thinking it's time to upgrade.
    Which, in your opinion, are the best portable drill drivers out there? I'm thinking 18V Lithium (am I on right track?). I'd like light weight, ease of battery change, fast charge and of course, lasting power/torque.My old PC 12 V got heavy after prolonged use and battery change was an effort...
    I'm told Makita. Milwaukee, Bosch have good dependable units...Do not need an impact feature. Would love to hear your experienced recos and ideas....Thanks, guys. Jerry
    Jerry

Jerry, this reply isn't any help because I'm right were you are and I'd like to see some comments from this group too!

Come on guys, lets get to typing!!

I've had my Makita 18V LXT Lion for about 3-4 years, and I've been very happy with it. Mine was a kit, so I did end up with the impact driver. I was kind of shocked at how useful the impact driver is, so I wouldn't write it off. Back to the drill--its got plenty of power for everything I've done with it, holds a charge well, and I haven't detected any issues with repeated charging of the Lion. I would definitely buy again.

Having said all that, most of the time in the shop, when I need to put a screw in I'm actually reaching for my little 10.8V bosch driver. Lighter, easier, smaller, gets into more awkward places... Just another thought to consider.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    +1 on the Makita set. I love mine!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Blog Entries
    I have the Milwaukee 18V lithium. Works great!!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

The panasonics 15.6 and the festool C12 are the best drivers out there. If you want a versatile driver that can put a hole or drive a screw nearly anywhere the C12 is the one to get.

My go to drills were a panasonic 15.6 and a makita impact driver for years until they were stolen out of the back of my truck.

I picked up a 18v Lion Makita Drill/impact set and love the impact and only use the drill for drilling larger holes or pocket holes. Since I was not liking the Makita drill, I got a C12. That is the best small drill driver I have ever used. I just love it. The accessory chucks are amazing. the C12 batteries are 1.3 amp hr nicads and charge up in 20 mins. For a 12v drill it is amazing the power it has.
    Fullerbuilt

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji Fuller View Post
    The panasonics 15.6 and the festool C12 are the best drivers out there. If you want a versatile driver that can put a hole or drive a screw nearly anywhere the C12 is the one to get.

Since I was not liking the Makita drill, I got a C12. That is the best small drill driver I have ever used. I just love it. The accessory chucks are amazing. the C12 batteries are 1.3 amp hr nicads and charge up in 20 mins. For a 12v drill it is amazing the power it has.

+1 on the Festool C12. Get the kit with the accessories - you will not regret it. The clutch is great, as is the weight and balance.

I also have a Milwaukee 28V LI that has seen heavy construction use, but the C12 is simply a joy to use.

Panasonic 15.6 scores tops in nearly every tool test. I have one and it is marvelous.

Makita rocks

I have the 18V Makita combo kit, 1.5KW 1/2" Drill/Driver and Impact Driver. Paid $200 for the set awhile ago during an Amazon Sale. I really like the Impact and use it for most projects. You can find it here for comparison: Makita. Works great. Light weight. Charges quickly. The only thing I might do differently is get the more expensive 3KW batteries as the Impact will run out of juice quicker when working it hard driving lags and lots of screws.

I have a 14.4V NiMH Makita kit with a impact driver and light. I love it. I had a 12V Proter Cable before that.

Another 14.4 V. Makita......I have had it for 6 or 7 years. It just keeps chugging along.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Janke View Post
    I have the 18V Makita combo kit, 1.5KW 1/2" Drill/Driver and Impact Driver. Paid $200 for the set awhile ago during an Amazon Sale. I really like the Impact and use it for most projects. You can find it here for comparison: Makita. Works great. Light weight. Charges quickly. The only thing I might do differently is get the more expensive 3KW batteries as the Impact will run out of juice quicker when working it hard driving lags and lots of screws.
    I bought this combo after reading reviews in www.toolsofthetrade.com and followup reading of end user comments on amazon.com; paid $230 Cdn. for a reconditioned/like new pair; advantages are Makita quality, ultra compact/light weight, esp. w/ 1.5amp batteries, LED task lighting that stays on for 10 or so seconds after releasing the trigger; off putting are no onboard carrying place for bits and no included belt clip although the anchoring insert is built in, and, oh yeah, the star wars graphics (smiley)

good luck

michael

Panasonic 15.6. Best I've owned.

I killed one of my trusty old Dewalts this winter, so I went through the same process recently. I almost bought the Festool, but I needed one now, so I bought a 18 volt Bosch litium with the slimline batteries. Nice little drill. Same power as the old Dewalt monster, but way less weight.

Built a fence with it this afternoon. 300 plus, 3" screws didn't finish a battery. The first charge lasted until I got well into the #10 hardware screws. It has a great charger too, fan cooled, will do a charge in 30 min.

I'm quite surprised, and impressed by it. I still may get the Festool, but not because I need to replace the Bosch.

I really like Festool and was getting ready to replace a great old Porter Cable (made by Metabo) with a Festool T-15 +3 how does this compare with the C-12? I like the format of the C-12 but my old Porter Cable has really carried the load for 24 years!
    Cheers, Bill Fleming