Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut ebonized suspended lidded box

Walnut ebonized suspended lidded box

First off, Thanks to Bob Hamilton First for his great vid’s showing the process for this style of lidded box. I’ve been wanting to try this for a year or better but was not confident of my knowledge of the process until I watched Bob’s videos a few times. I also wanted to try ebonizing something larger than a finial and this piece of walnut served well. (used the vinegar and rust solution). This solution darkened the piece nicely but raised the grain and warped the lid. The lid did return to its original form after sitting a few days. This was my first and took way too much sanding after the turning! I hope my tool techniques get better after a few of these. If not there will not be many more. Measures 7X4.25 tall. Top coat finish is satin wipe on poly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, that is a pretty cool piece...could you show us the steps that it took to turn
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Sure David. This is the youtube link to Bob's video's. I think you will enjoy them. I sure do...Bill..
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...003CDBECC3595B

I like that alot! Bob sure made it look easy didn't he. I tried my second one on Sunday and had a monster catch. That's ok, I learned alot and #3 will be attempted soon.

I have not tried ebonizing yet, how long did it take?

thanks Bill, great vedio, I think that will be a project when I have more time ( at least thats my excuse )
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Bill, did you turn it at 3600 rpm like Bob's demo? Way too scary for me, but actually looks like that speed would have some advantages (if one has sufficient attachments to turn that fast). Nice work.
    Richard in Wimberley

The ebonizing is pretty quick. One coat let try do another if it is still too light. I think I did 3 coats before putting the poly on...Bill..

Bill, that came out great, I love the color and the form is really nice!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Hi, Bill:
    That is really a rich looking finish. I find that the sanding chore is a bit easier if the curve of the legs is more gradual since the more "open" curve allows better access and longer strokes.

Looks great!
    Bob

Looks like yer skill level stepped up to the task bill.

I like it a lot, almost too dark in the first pic but I would have too see it in person.

Cant wait till I am up to trying one myself, I have the vid saved.

That's a great looking piece Bill! I've made one out of quilted maple, sans lid, so far. I'd like to make a few more, trouble is my memory...I have to keep going back to Bob's youtube video to review the steps and that's time consuming. Hey Bob, Why not put the whole winged box series on a DVD and sell them? If you do, I'm first in line
    Tom in Qualicum Beach

Richard 2000 was my max. My old lathe won't go to 3600, my nerve wouldn't go that fast either!
    Mark; I was after a color that was as black as I could get it. Another version without the ebonizing will get mounted up soon.
    Bob does a whole list of interesting video's and his web site is excellent also! Never met the man but he sure does some impressive things.
    ..Bill..

My old hobby was model airplanes.. that thing spinning at 3600 rpm brought back really bad memories of being hit by the prop of a nitromethane burning little motor spinning a 10/6 prop.. on Bobs video you can hear it.. Oh man that hurts.. especially on real cold mornings, when your hands were really cold... 3600 might make it nice to turn but it scares the heck outta me.
    "Goverment is not the solution to our problems. Goverment IS the problem" - Ronald Reagan

Love the shape

Bill, You do do other things!!(giggle) I love the shape and the shorter version of the legs or should I say closer rather than wider. It has a sort of oriental feel to it. The darkness is very rich and adds to the over all lok of the box! Very cool.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Bill - this is really cool! Nice work - the rich color is amazing! Been thinking of trying the ebonizing solution but hate to raise the grain! May have to bite the bullet and give it a try one of these days anyway!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!