Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPINIONS ON PORTER CABLE 7-1/4" 13-Amp Circular Saw

OPINIONS ON PORTER CABLE 7-1/4" 13-Amp Circular Saw

I was thinking about purchasing this Porter cable Circular saw from Lowes ....It's currently priced at $59.97 So I'm skeptical if it is junk or not . Since it's a Brand new Porter Cable ,I'm unsure if it is built as well and trustworthy as their older models were . Thanks in advance...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...CSL&lpage=none

First off - I know nothing about this saw
    Second - I have found the sub $100 saws do not tend to be all that great
    Third - Though I have a PC 325MAG, I don't care for Porter Cable, and I didn't care for them when they were Rockwell either. (They all sound like they have bad bearings)
    Fourth - I can only recommend a Skil Wormdrive (HD77), I am just a wormdrive bigot

Blog Entries
    I'm with Chuck on first, second and third although my 15a, 423 (blade left) is pretty quiet. I do know the sound of which he speaks and have had saws that make it ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

For the money...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=ryobi

I don't work for Ryobi.

Phillip,

I have a Porter Cable framing saw I bought over ten years ago. As I recall, I paid close to $200 for that saw. It's been a great tool and I'm very happy with it. The saw you're looking at bears no resemblence whatsoever to my saw. This leads me to believe the saw you're looking at is a rebranded Black & Decker. Thus, I wouldn't recommend it. I'd be concerned about short life and the saw not being true to the shoe, like my Skil saw that you burned out years ago.

Makita and Milwaukee make outstanding framing saws. Take a look at those. Although they're pricey, it's worth it to buy new. If you get one from a pawn shop, for example, it's likely to have numerous hours on it. It's no fun buying an expensive saw and having it burn out on you shortly thereafter.

I personally don't like wormgear saws; never have. I find them to be too heavy with no added benefit. However, lots of guys would use nothing other than a wormgear saw. Take a look at both, hold them in your hands and decide for yourself.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    +1 on the Ryobi 14amp. I've had mine for a year and have used it alot. Nice ergonomics and plenty of power.

No issues and solid construction... Cheap too!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

I'm typically not a big fan of Ryobi tools. But that circular saw seems like a no-brainer. It's worth a trip to Home Depot, Phillip.

I have a PC that I bought a dozen years ago that doesn't even look like what you are showing. What you are looking at isn't in the same league as what they used to make. Sixty bucks for a 13 amp saw, how's it feel? Put a real blade on it and I bet it'll suit your purpose. I wouldn't look at it as a life time purchase unless you're as old as me.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I have PC that is at least 20 years old, made in USA at that time. Built for heavy duty work for that era. Still use it to cut poplar roots in my yard. Throw an old blade in it and jam it in on either end of the root. Also bought a Makita 15 amp last year at Home Depot for $99 Cdn, nice heft and solid, no qualms buying it. After buying the Makita ended up with a Dewalt DW364 (probably $200 retail, now that is a hefty saw) for $75 from a garage sale. Ladies husband passed away and she was selling off his power tools.

Regardless if you don't adjust your saw for accuracy or use a sharp blade, doesn't matter what you buy or what you have. Do I need a worm drive, not likely for the amount I use a circular saw. Catch myself sometimes for spending lots on a tool, for what, to make myself feel good, or to show off. Better to deal with my emotions for free. Bad bearing, doesn't take a handy man much time to replace them. Under $100 from HD or Lowes, what do you expect for the money, unless it is 50% off, which they are sometimes. Nowadays get good value for the money.

How much do you use a saw. Ask yourself then decide what saw to buy. Once or twice a month light duty, small stuff then 13 amp is fine.
    Last edited by Alfred Toy; 06-28-2009 at 3:05 PM.

These are not th Porter-Cable tools you are used to seeing. This is a low-end , China made model to replace the previous Black&Decker junk they used to carry, but only this time capitalize on the Porter-Cable brand name recognition.

Mort, not to belabour the point but, china made junk may be at Harbour Freight for $20-30. 13 amp Ryobi or Porter Cable is a little bit better than HF, even tho capitalizing on PC name. Splitting hairs for $69 or $89, $99. If they sell junk then PC name recognition won't last long. But then again Home Depot did the same thing with Ridgid and at least they are decent tools for the money.

It's kind of sick, management using a good name to sell junk. My wife bought me a small Ridgid edge sander that has no quality at all. Steve

I had the PC 15 amp best saw I have ever had, now I have a Festool saw, the PC was more powerful and consistant but I like the safety and convience of the festool. Thay being said the BORG brand PC is not the same I would get the good one, That type of saw takes alot of abuse and the berrings alwas go in cheaper ones.
    -=Jason=-

Black and decker is in the process of Making Porter Cable a low quality tool. The saw like you are looking at is one of these new creations. It is not the PC of a couple years ago. Buyer beware!!

That saw at lowes isn't the same saw as their MAG saws. I have a 425 mag saw and really like it. I sold my milwaukee to my body to buy that saw. It is lighter and has the keyless arbor nut that I really like. You can find the good PC saws for about $100 I would save and buy one of those. No problem with worm drive saws except they are to dam heavy I prefer the sidewinders.