Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: want to get into making boxes. What sander do I need?

I have mine stored on a shelf on the wall by the work-bench I sand on Ed. With several ROS's their is room on the shelf but you have a jungle of cord competing for space and with jungle.. you get tangled vines.

Now... on that same wall is near the TS... if I can only find a 6'-8" wide vertical spot to hand the thingy-ma-bob. I have a thingy-ma-bob for the jungle of TS blades (11 I think?) and a jig for about everything you can do on a TS.. new inserts... about 15 push sticks.. two miter gauges and the list goes on.

So.. maybe I should live with what I have or.. build a much.. much larger shop. I'll ask my wife what she thinks about that?

I hate waiting for finish to dry.. my mind heads for left field even though the game starts about 4-6 hours after the mind makes the trip..

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Do you have a good ROS? If not start there. Want a great one try a Festool ETS 150/3.
    I have to very respectfully disagree with Mike a little on this one. I have the ETS 150/3 and it is a WONDERFUL sander but I find it a bit big for smaller box parts. I think if you are focused on boxes and smaller items that the ETS 125/3 might be a better option. Someone mentioned a card scraper and I agree 100% with that as well. For boxes, I mostly scrape them and only sand 180 and 220 and sometimes just 220. Most of the ones that I have done have been veneered and I am gererally terrified to sand veneer. Sand-throughs are simply heartbreaking - DAMHIKT.

Oh, and Ed - I like that sander holder gizmo as well. Nicely done, I might just build one for myself tonight. I am always looking for a place to put the sander down.