Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corded Drill

Corded Drill

I guess I have gotten so wrapped up in battery tools, I have lost site of the corded ones. I recently mounted a benchdog router table to my jet table saw. The battery drill could not do the job of drilling the iron. So I pulled out my Grandpa's old craftsman drill and finished the job. I bet I have not used that thing in 10 years! But seriously, I would like to upgrade in that department. Suggestions?

Mike

I would seriously consider a near new used drill in the corded category. I'm sure there are many that feel they just don't use them enough. I'd say a USA made Milwaukee, or Japanese made Makita. And it sounds like your wanting at least a 1/2" version.

Why would you consider anything other then a USA made Milwaukee hole shooter for a corded drill?

+1 on the milwaukee. The cheap corded drills at harbor freight are pretty indestructable, and make a great back-up or second drill, but they're not as ergonomic as the milwaukee.

What about a hammer drill? On some of the bosch models (others brands no sure about) you can switch between hammer and rotary mode. It would be nice to have the extra power when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Dupay View Post
    Why would you consider anything other then a USA made Milwaukee hole shooter for a corded drill?
    +1

My poor Milwaukee has spent its life spinning hole saws in steel, powering winches and doing other duties.

It's a great drill, and that warning sticker on top about high rotating force, if you're not Arnold use the side handle!

Regards, Rod.

I think milwaukee is the only way to go...Ive had mine about 12 years and my dad has some that are older than me and still going
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Ha! I was thinking Milwaukee. Glad to get so many positives on it. I was alos thinking of getting one of Li Ion cordless drills. I have used one before and really liked it.

Thanks,

Mike

Ryobi has a corded drill with a clutch much like a cordless drill to drive screws. Have read good things about it. For $40 my pick one up.
    Does any of the other brands have such a model?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...003+90401+1688

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Well, it seems to me that there are advantages and disadvantages to clutched and non-clutched. Also, the non-clutched seem to use the "keyed" tightening system. The 5 amp milwaukee (above) is keyed and costs more than the 8 amp model.

Why?

Mike

Thumbs up Milwaukee

1/2 inch reversible. When I need a corded drill my Milwaukee takes care of the problem and doesn't break a sweat!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    Well, it seems to me that there are advantages and disadvantages to clutched and non-clutched. Also, the non-clutched seem to use the "keyed" tightening system. The 5 amp milwaukee (above) is keyed and costs more than the 8 amp model.

Why?

Mike
    The 8 amp model is a newer design, not sure if it's made here. Some of the other Milwaukee drills were made by AEG in europe.

If you can't drill it with the old bulletproof 5 amp drill, it's time to go buy a Hole hawg.

I've seroiusly abused mine for 25 years, it's mixed driveway sealer to the point you needed gloves to hold it because it was so hot.
    IIRC, the brushes have been replaced once, switch once and a new quik-loc cord.
    When it dies, I"ll probably have it bronzed.

Ed

I am a fan of millwaukees too

My go to is the 1/2 600 rpm
    this baby has more balls than the 850 rpm

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...2f2+in.+Drills

Milwaukee with a caveat- stick to their older designs such as the 0234-6 and a keyed chuck. Some will disagree but imho their newer design drills don't measure up to the old standards. The time I spent with the newer drill made me wish I had my own 0234 with me. It stalled far easier despite the the 8 amp motor (there's less gear reduction) and the keyless chuck had trouble holding the 1/2" bit with out spinning in the chuck. Don't care for the ergonomics either- the new drills are longer nose to tail and I find the more compact 0234-6 much more comfortable. ymmv