Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting Up a Bevelled Box

I agree! Certainly sets off the maple from the darker woods. Nice touch!

Looks like it's going to be another sweet looking box Ed.
    Thanks for the quick tutorial.

And one more vote that the ebony sets it off...

definately thumbs up for the ebony accents!

Blog Entries
    One thing I forgot to mention... don't throw away the cut offs.... They can be used when sanding or stuff like clamping on the lid handle. It's a handy scrap to bring that side back to 90 degrees.

Everything went together real well... and I sanded and and sanded and sanded some more...

Ya'all have put up with this thread so far....you might as well see one more.... My favorite part.... popping the grain with the oil. Here, there are two fresh coats of Watco Teak Oil.... I like that stuff, seems thinner and more manageable than BLO. And, it's says on the can it's for dense wood...

I won't bug ya no more about this box until it's finished... in about a week. Have to decide on what color to flock the bottom - and the oil needs to set for a while before I lacquer... I need to print the real picture and cut the glass too...

In the mean time... I'm gonna work on smaller boxes from the same wood... see what comes of that...

Thanks for watching and everything.... it's been fun.

Nice technique ed. i have a lot of scraps piling up and this is a great idea to use them up.

how did you bevel the inside of the lid? before or after glue-up? its hard to see from the pic if its stepped or beveled.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Blog Entries
    The inside of the lid is not bevelled...nor stepped. It's flat... The laminates are playing tricks...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    The inside of the lid is not bevelled...nor stepped. It's flat... The laminates are playing tricks...
    I am glad I wasn't the only one fooled by that!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post

in this drawing it shows the lid to be stepped on the inside. im i not seeing it correctly? it does not look flat to me.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Blog Entries
    Yes, the border of the lid is stepped.... but, in the end, the stepped portion was filled with the Bird's Eye Maple.... making the whole thing flat.