Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Set Of Grips

Another Set Of Grips

I finished these up yesterday.

This is Amboyna Burl. Amboyna Burl is a rare wood and you won't see much of it in any woodworking projects, much less gun grips. This wood was used by Rolls Royce for some of their dashboard treatments in years past.
    What do you think?

Blog Entries
    I like the grips.... looks like a fun project to do. I do have a question, and I noticed the same on the last set that you posted.... Would it be possible to make them just a little wider to cover that screw hole on the metal of the grip? Or is that something standard with the guns.... I am not a gun person.... so, I don't have a clue...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    I like the grips.... looks like a fun project to do. I do have a question, and I noticed the same on the last set that you posted.... Would it be possible to make them just a little wider to cover that screw hole on the metal of the grip? Or is that something standard with the guns.... I am not a gun person.... so, I don't have a clue...
    Ed, that 'screw hole';, and I think that you are referring to the top photo, is a spring retained magazine release. If it is covered up, then the magazine won't release...make sense?

Blog Entries
    No.... the one in the bottom photo, lower right towards the rear of the pistol.....

Great job, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    No.... the one in the bottom photo, lower right towards the rear of the pistol.....

Great job, by the way!
    Ah,that is a pin which holds the mainspring in place. Most grips will have a cut out for that.I don't as I like to keep the 'snaggy' parts to a minimum.

Also I have to go with as much materialon the Amboyna Burl piece as I can, this one was cut a little thin, but that'swhat I had to work with.

Blog Entries
    Cool..... I was just curious about that.....

Looks realy good...

Beautiful grips Jerry... and I have seen that burl on very high end European cars. I worked with foreign a few years after Vietnam before getting involved with American Muscle Cars.

Question.. I am a die-hard .45 Auto person since VN with a concealed weapons permit. The quesion is.. do the polished wooden grip have a tendency to rotate in your hand from impact which would create a little more time getting back on target for a second shot?

I have never used wooden grips and have always wondered about that?

Regards...

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Beautiful grips Jerry... and I have seen that burl on very high end European cars. I worked with foreign a few years after Vietnam before getting involved with American Muscle Cars.

Question.. I am a die-hard .45 Auto person since VN with a concealed weapons permit. The quesion is.. do the polished wooden grip have a tendency to rotate in your hand from impact which would create a little more time getting back on target for a second shot?

I have never used wooden grips and have always wondered about that?

Regards...

Sarge..
    I'll throw in an answer based on personal experience: depends on the individual's grip. For me, with finger inside trigger guard (since we are talking second and subsequent shots) and the ridges on the backstrap as well as the tail in the web of my hand, it's not much of a problem. I like the looks of smooth wood grips.

Jerry - very nice! And where'd you get that burl? I'm about to make a set for a guy, but haven't selected and purchased wood yet.

I like the looks of them also, Jack. But.. I have always been hesitant to try them because of the concern. I've never used anything but plastic grips with grids or Pacmeyer (sp) style which also give a pretty good grip. My concern evolves from having to take out two targets at very close quaters (maybe 5 meters) in a very short span of time. No real time to re-adjust the grip.

Both were raising AK-47's from the barrel pointed down carry grip in an attempt to be the first combatant to squeze off rounds. Using that experience has made me question anything but a very firm grip of the hand-gun. They are probably fine but.. just an attempt to get a take from someone that uses a smooth grip. Hand size may be a slight factor also.

I might ask someone at my local range that has a .45 Auto with wood grips if I can fire a couple of rounds with it to better understand just how my hands and grip are affected. I don't know anyone with smooth grips but I'll ask the range owner if he could assist.

BTW.. if you are a .45 Auto carrier... both rounds that I mentioned were one round knock-downs using Military Ball and it became my choice of hand gun caliber after I departed the military where I could use premium headed catrigides and loads. Quite frankly... I hope I never have to fire in self defense again but there are no guarantee's I'm afraid.

Regards...

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 06-16-2009 at 4:10 PM.

I like the looks of them also, Jack. But.. I have always been hesitant to try them because of the concern. I've never used anything but plastic grips with grids or Pacmeyer (sp) style which also give a pretty good grip. My concern evolves from having to take out two targets at very close quaters (maybe 5 meters) in a very short span of time. No real time to re-adjust the grip.

Both were raising AK-47's from the barrel pointed down carry grip in an attempt to be the first combatant to squeze off rounds. Using that experience has made me question anything but a very firm grip of the hand-gun. They are probably fine but.. just an attempt to get a take from someone that uses a smooth grip. Hand size may be a slight factor also.

I might ask someone at my local range that has a .45 Auto with wood grips if I can fire a couple of rounds with it to better understand just how my hands and grip are affected. I don't know anyone with smooth grips but I'll ask the range owner if he could assist.

BTW.. if you are a .45 Auto carrier... both rounds that I mentioned were one round knock-downs using Military Ball and it became my choice of hand gun caliber after I departed the military where I could use premium headed catrigides and loads. Quite frankly... I hope I never have to fire in self defense again but there are no guarantee's I'm afraid.

Regards...

Sarge..
    Sarge,

The grips I made are 'slightly' oversized. By how much? I don't really know. I DO know that they fill my hand very very well. I used the Beall polishing system after one coat of Tung Oil.

They feel 'grippy' but not tacky or sticky..if that makes any sense. I have been a 'checkered' guy for a long long time and I feel very comfortable with these.

Excellent looking grips! I'm in the camp of preferring some checkering/texture on the grip but that's a personal preference based on the individual.

Thanks for your feed-back Jerry. They may look slick but not really be in all actuality and the reason I would like to try some. They are absolutely gorgoeus though. I have my fathers (he died when I was 12 in 1959) 4" S & W 38 that I would love to have some extremely nice grips on as that burl.

I might give them a try on that hand gun as it rarely gets fired anymore. When I was in HS.. I used to take it the open garbage dump in my hometown and shoot large rats with it. But.. after VN... I really lost a bit of enthusiam for shooting in general as I had had. I don't even hunt anymore but do go to the hand-gun range and occasionally do some skeet which I am not too bad at.

Again... nice weapon.... extremely nice grips you built.

Sarge..

Thanks for your feed-back Jerry. They may look slick but not really be in all actuality and the reason I would like to try some. They are absolutely gorgoeus though. I have my fathers (he died when I was 12 in 1959) 4" S & W 38 that I would love to have some extremely nice grips on as that burl.

I might give them a try on that hand gun as it rarely gets fired anymore. When I was in HS.. I used to take it the open garbage dump in my hometown and shoot large rats with it. But.. after VN... I really lost a bit of enthusiam for shooting in general as I had had. I don't even hunt anymore but do go to the hand-gun range and occasionally do some skeet which I am not too bad at.

Again... nice weapon.... extremely nice grips you built.

Sarge..
    Sounds like a 'memory gun' I have one from my grandfather...its a Winchester Model 60 .22 that is priceless to me. I sent you a PM

Hey, Sarge, I know a woodworker that makes grips

Those grips look fantastic! These have been on my list for some time for my Kimber. Did you turn the round shape or get it some other way?

Regarding combat usefulness, would applying finish at a lower grit than usual on the sanding spectrum, say 120 or even 80, give a "grippiness" similar to grip tape?