Thread: Riser Blocks (Bandsaw)

Riser Blocks (Bandsaw)

OK, so how do these work? How does one get more resaw capacity out of one. I do not think I need more, (Jet 18"), so I am just wondering how they work. Do they improve resawing?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    OK, so how do these work? How does one get more resaw capacity out of one. I do not think I need more, (Jet 18"), so I am just wondering how they work. Do they improve resawing?

Mike
    They raise the entire cast iron saw arm up giving you another 6" roughly cutting hgt. (total of 12" hgt. on my 14" depth bandsaw), of course you then have to by new longer blades as well.
    I have them on my Jet. Did not think I'd ever resaw anything but in the 3-4yrs. I've had the extra capacity it has come in handy numerous times. I don't do a lot of resawing but the most important improvement besides the capacity is a blade intended for resawing.
    Last edited by Matt Tawes; 06-16-2009 at 11:24 AM.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

If you have a steel framed Jet 18", you don't have an option to put on a riser block. The riser blocks were mostly used for the 14" cast iron bandsaws to change the 6" resaw height to 12" resaw height. It was a 6" piece of cast iron that is bolted on the neck(I'm not sure if that is what you call it). I'm not completely familiar with the Jet but you more than likely have 12" of resaw height already.

Cary is right. I just looked and the 18" has no provision or need for risers and already has 12" capacity.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

OK, I get it now. That makes sense. And yes, I don't need it, I was just wondering how it worked.

Thanks!

Mike

To be honest, unless you have or had a 14" saw you probably wouldn't know what a riser block is. I have one on my Grizz 14" bandsaw and it makes a big difference. I like having it just for the headroom. Having the top portion 6" inches higher up makes a big difference to me when cutting.