Thread: CNC Inlayed Flooring - YouTube Video

CNC Inlayed Flooring - YouTube Video

Amazing CNC work, floors I would never walk on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz35OzihTdA&NR=1

Talking

What can I say other than WOW!

Amazing stuff!

What I can't figure out is how they get around the router bit radius. They have a lot of pointed parts that fit into adjoining parts. How do they cut that point in the adjoining part and not have a tool bit radius in the point? I don't see any seams at that point either that would indicate the adjoining part was made from 2 pieces to get the sharp point. Puzzeling.....
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

I believe you could use a very steep v-bit to cut the sharp interior corners. As you approach the corner you lift the bit thereby reducing the cutting diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Blauvelt View Post
    I believe you could use a very steep v-bit to cut the sharp interior corners. As you approach the corner you lift the bit thereby reducing the cutting diameter.
    I've done a few inlays that way, mostly just practice stuff waiting for a real project. It is a very cool technique - you route the inlay inverted and glue it into the pocket. There is no visible radius and the lines are truly square, at least as square as you can possibly see with the naked eye.

Gary

Amazing work, my little DIY CNC I have planned would be hard pressed to do that!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Gary, you know...I hadn't even thought of that. I bet that would work.

Thanks for the tip!

( darn...something else to add to the play list now )
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.