Thread: What's a good price??

What's a good price??

What's a good price for a nice 5/4X18"X6' clear red oak board?

That depends. Are you the buyer or seller?

$40 in So Cal.

11.25 board feet at about $3.50 / bf
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Depends on where you are getting it. We are paying about $1.10 a board foot at a sawmill in West Tennessee.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

$1.80 a board foot at my Atlanta supplier. Nancy is correct about where you get it. I can drive to TN. or Kentucky and get it cheaper but.. calculate time and gas and I really haven't saved anything and probably would come out behind.

Sarge..

Dry, wet, planed, square, QS, figured?

Lots of variables. $1.80 at the saw mill is wet, normal grained and un-planed I'm guessing? Sounds good, except for the gas to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gregory View Post
    Lots of variables. $1.80 at the saw mill is wet, normal grained and un-planed I'm guessing? Sounds good, except for the gas to get there.
    Evening Peter.... if you are referring to the $1.80 I quoted from my source that has risen from around $1.60 a year ago. It is Kiln dried and you can get it rough for $1.80.. you can have it planed to 15/16" or 3/4" for $1.80. In other words they charge $1.80 a board foot and you make the call on thickness. There is no additional charge for straight line rip or S3S for that matter either. You tell em how you want it.. they tell you it's $1.80 a board foot.

Now... we are not talking about Qaurter Sawn. That is extra and I believe runs about $3.20 a board foot.. S3S. All their lumber is kiln dried as they have a kiln and a saw-mill down the hill with warehouses full of about all you want. White oak runs around $2.10 and QSWO $4.20. I priced it yesterday at Woodcraft in Alpharetta (suburb of Atlanta) at $7.60 a board foot QSWO.. They can keep it frankly. ha.. ha...

So.... depends on where I suppose as my drive to my supplier.. Suwanee Lumber is about 13 miles one way or 15 minutes.

Regards...

Sarge..
    Last edited by John Thompson; 06-16-2009 at 11:25 PM.