Thread: Oneway vs PSI sharpening systems

Oneway vs PSI sharpening systems

I'm posting this here and in the general forum.

I’m looking at the Oneway and the PSI sharpening systems. Any reason not to go with the PSI system?

Are they comparably built?

Anything else recommended?

Thanks
    RD

Which Oneway vs Which PSI?

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Sorry, should have been clearer.

http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/grind_jig.htm

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCGRIND4.html

It looks like you get more in the Penn State set than Oneway's because their set includes the skew jig and the finger nail jig for $125 total. Oneway, with those addons, comes out to about $170. While I can look at the Oneway at Wood Craft and see how beefy it is I'm only looking at pictures for the Penn State version so I was wondering if they are equivalent systems.
    RD

Oneway !

Bought the PSI as it was cheaper, spend many hours trying to get it to work properly, bought Oneway, PSI wasn't cheaper in the long run. Dennis Y

I don't understans!

I have the PSI, and neighbor Steve Schlumpf has the Oneway. I have used both. The only reason I can see for the Oneway over the PSI is It (may) be more durable in a shop where it is used several times a day. I had no trouble setting it up, and it works for me when I use it. IThe PSI is made of stamped parts, and the Oneway machined parts. The oneway is amde better, and as always you get what you pay for. The only possible problem that I had with setup was getting the bowl gauge arm angle set right.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Quote Originally Posted by robert hainstock View Post
    It (may) be more durable in a shop where it is used several times a day
    Several times a day? If you are turning, you will need to use it several times an hour easily.

The only possible problem that I had with setup was getting the bowl gauge arm angle set right.
    Bob
    That sounds like a pretty big limitation considering that it is the thing you will need to be doing most of the time.

Bob, I don't want to sound like I am picking on your opinion. If you are happy with the system, that's what's important. My experience with PSI stuff is that you get what you pay for (which is also often true with Oneway). Sometimes that fits one's needs.

I've had the PSI system for over a year and have had no problems with it to speak of. They don't provide much info regarding set up, but it's not hard to figure out. The only drawback I've seen so far is that you can overtighten the locking screws for the support bar, and gall the metal. Easily fixed with a file though. As with most PSI stuff that I own, it isn't as pretty but works fine. I have definitely used mine more than a few times per day.

BTW, the Thompson site has a nice, full-size, printable diagram showing how to set the proper angle on the fingernail jig.

Thanks for the input - I think i'll go with the Oneway, although I've seen some interesting shop made solutions also. Hmmmm
    RD

Oneway could be clearer in instructions

I've used the Oneway system fro years and found it very durable and reliable. What isn't so good is the instructions for using the gouge grinding jig. The angle vs the pivot position vs protrusion alters the shape and length of the wings. An explanation of how changes in one parameter alter the grind would save a lot of time and steel.

One of our club members seized the opportunity and developed a tool that allows you to use your Tormek grinding jigs as part of the Oneway system. It gives the same grind as on the Tormek with the same predictability of shape and allows a much faster grind. It's also great for classes where a Tormek might not be available.
    Mike

.....God invented the wood lathe to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.....

I went through the same thought process-and bought the PSI to "save" money. Bowl grinding attachment didn't work right and everything is more cheaply built. I ended up buying Oneway so it actually cost me more.

Terry

"One of our club members seized the opportunity and developed a tool that allows you to use your Tormek grinding jigs as part of the Oneway system. It gives the same grind as on the Tormek with the same predictability of shape and allows a much faster grind. It's also great for classes where a Tormek might not be available. "

Mike, got a link to this? I have a Tormek, had it for several years, can't justify the expense of buying a grinder and the Oneway system, but all the classes I go to use the oneway. Would be nice to be able to sharpen at a class without messing with my grind.

Thanks, Steff

Tormek has their own adapter for the Wolverine System

Tormek has recognized the benefit of shaping tools on a dry grinder and will introduce an adapter at the AAW Symposium. Info from the Tormek chat forum (tormek.com/forum) hints at around $60 as the going price.

Ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Several times a day? If you are turning, you will need to use it several times an hour easily.

That sounds like a pretty big limitation considering that it is the thing you will need to be doing most of the time.

Bob, I don't want to sound like I am picking on your opinion. If you are happy with the system, that's what's important. My experience with PSI stuff is that you get what you pay for (which is also often true with Oneway). Sometimes that fits one's needs.
    Several times a day vs. several times an hour???? Is it apples and oranges?
    Does the oneway come with guides for setting the arm angle?
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Quote Originally Posted by Steff Pace View Post
    "One of our club members seized the opportunity and developed a tool that allows you to use your Tormek grinding jigs as part of the Oneway system. It gives the same grind as on the Tormek with the same predictability of shape and allows a much faster grind. It's also great for classes where a Tormek might not be available. "

Mike, got a link to this? I have a Tormek, had it for several years, can't justify the expense of buying a grinder and the Oneway system, but all the classes I go to use the oneway. Would be nice to be able to sharpen at a class without messing with my grind.

Thanks, Steff
    I saw at the AAW Symposium that Tormek has started making something like this for the bench grinder (http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/bgm100/index.php). It isn't as good as what my buddy makes. His fits directly into the diamond shaped slot on the Wolverine jig.
    Mike

.....God invented the wood lathe to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.....

Tormek jig adaptor for Wolverine sharpening jig

This is the adapter to use Tormek gouge sharpening jigs with the wolverine system. Drop me an email and I will put you in touch with the maker if you are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike