Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New holdfasts

New holdfasts

Have you ever gotten a tool and wondered how you ever got along without it?

Well if you don’t have holdfasts for your bench, do yourself a favor and get some! I received two of the Gramercy holdfasts yesterday. They are very reasonably priced. I have some of another brand that have never worked right - I think it is because my top is too thick for that design. I decided to try again after seeing a video of Franz Klaus and Roy Underhill cutting dovetails.

As soon as I got the package I ran out and tried them. What a revelation. Whack! and the board is down really tight. Whack! and the board is loose and repositioned. I took a ¾” x 4” board clamped on edge and cut a ¼” mortise in the edge with everything nice and solid. This is going to improve and speed up any number of operations.
    Last edited by Richard Dooling; 06-17-2009 at 5:11 PM. Reason: Icky font change
    RD

I'm very happy with my Gramercy holdfasts, as well.

Likewise, I'm very pleased with mine. After cleaning the new off, and giving them a light sanding they work perfectly
    Last edited by Larry Heflin; 06-17-2009 at 4:32 PM. Reason: typo

Larry is right. They need a little wipe down and Joel at TFWW advised me to roughen the shaft for a better grip. Sand around the shaft, not vertically.
    RD

Got mine at Woodcraft. It needed some smoothing of the hold down pad. When I saw how well it worked and how simple it was, I just started laughing. Here we are in the 21st century with tons of technology, and this crooked piece of steel works better than most new tools. I use it all the time now. I've thought about getting another, but just haven't seen the need.

I like mine better after I learned how to make them, Mine you hit where you should and the thin springy part that does the holding is a big plus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Yes, but is a Harry Strasil holdfast available for us mere mortals to buy?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

its entirely possible, but mine are hand made and they won't fit in a 3/4 hole, 13/16 is best, but I could make a smaller shank that would work. have no idea of cost, only made them for myself so far.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Not sure what Sir Harry would charge, but hand-made ones out of mild steel are generally around $120 a pair. While pricey compared the piece 'o junk cast iron ones, they hold work far better and don't break - ever.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Alan Grogg View Post
    I'm very happy with my Gramercy holdfasts, as well.
    Me too.

They are only $31.95 a pair. A BARGAIN!

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I love mine, I did lined the pad face with leather and it's worth it no marring of the wood! I also have a paire of hand made one frome Galena Vilage Black Smith and dispite the higher price tag they are the best out there... so far... Sorry Harry, I would have to try yours for a test drive so what about a price for a paire that would fit a 3/4" dog hole??

David, I've seen a picture in a holdfast review of the Galena Vilage Black Smith version and it was a nice little piece of art - but what does one cost? The reviewer raved about them and the credentials are sure interesting!

http://www.galenavillageblacksmith.com/index.html
    RD

$120 a pair, Jeez, I don't use GOLD to make mine. LOL
    Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I don't use GOLD to make mine.
    Good thing - gold would be hard to temper to the right springiness. Unobtanium is better.

I too like the Gramercy holdfasts, but after Jr showed me the ones he made, I decided I could make my own hand forged holdfasts pretty easily and which might just be an improvement on the Gramercy's.

I don't weld mine like Jr., but I take a length of 5/8" round mild steel stock, and I flatten it out quite a bit where the gooseneck bend is to make it more springy. I now have 6 homemade and two of the Gramercy's. I like mine a bit better, the Gramercy holdfasts still get used, but they feel a bit too stiff now...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot