Thread: What would be the best selection ?

What would be the best selection ?

I`m attempting to build a Cherry Tall chest and would like to know from the fine furniture guru`s what would be the best selection for secondary wood for the dust panel frames maple , poplar , ash ect. I plan on using ash for the drawer sides which appears to be what the Stickley piece I am attemping to copy used for the drawers but my daughter did not get a pic of the dust panel frames.Ash is about 80 cents more than poplar and hard maple is about $ 3.00 more in my area.Thanks for looking
    Charles Lewis

Secondary woods are traditionally what is available/ durable/ least expensive. I can't help on what the stickley piece had, but I would use whatever I could get that's affordable since it will never be seen.

Ash is the traditional drawer material and I've used it (scrap) in web frames. Save the hard maple for tops/cutting boards etc. I've built webs with walnut, cherry, poplar, soft maple, scrap pieces of cabinet ply, etc. In fact, just about any hardwood scrap works for me!

Thanks for the response thats what I fiqured but in reading some other posts one member indicated poplar did some strange things over time but did not elaborate on what happened to it.
    Charles Lewis

Do some looking for a Stickley piece with the secondary woods listed and use that material. If you're going to go to the work to make a piece like you described and if you want it as a piece of furniture for a long time as a Stickley reproduction I would find out what Stickley used and use it. There's plenty other places to save a few bucks.
    And now for something completely different....