Thread: New stuff for the shop!

New stuff for the shop!

I went to Grizzly today and picked up a New G0548Z 2hp Dust Collector with the 1 Micron Canister Filter, the G0572 Hanging Air Filter with Remote Control and a Milwaukee 5625, 3-1/2hp Router for the Router Table. Spent a bunch but I needed the Dust Collection Stuff real bad. Should work real well in my small shop. Now I just have to put it together and get the ducting figured out and run.
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Nice.... Hope it works well for you!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

It looks great. Would the G0583 be a good substitute even though it has 2.5 micron filtration? I would like to get a starter system.

2.5 micron is too course for filtration. Go 1 micron or smaller. .3 micron is HEPA, .5 micron is available but hard to come by, 1 micron is easy to come by...

does the G0548Z allow for a HEPA filter to be used?

AFAIK, .5 micron is the finest filtration you are going to find for hobby woodworking filters. That would be the Wynn 35A paper blend I am thinking of... The spun bond poly I have seen reported at .5 and 1 micron from various sources. Wynn rates them at 1 micron...

I do not know if the model you are looking at would work with the 35A or not, but you might want to call Grizzly and see if they have any 1 micron or better upgrades for that machine...

I am sure it has been mentioned here and beaten to death, but it bears repeating... Bill Pentz has done exhaustive research on the subject, and has an excellent web site full of more information than a hobbyist could possibly use in regards to dust collection... It bears reading...

http://billpentz.com/Woodworking/Cyclone/Index.cfm

Thanks so much for the helpful information.

The Grizzly G0548Z is the newest model like this out and is twice the Horse Power of the G0583 and is on sale now for $455.00 where as the G0583 is $399.00. So for another $56.00 you get the 1 micron filter and twice the horse power. I would have to think that the G0548Z would be a much better investment.

Just checked the grizz web site. The GO548 is a 1 micron canister DC... That thing should be ready right out of the box. The bigger question would be keeping the filter from getting gunked up. You will want a separator. Are you familiar with Phil Thien's baffle / cyclone separator? Not sure about the 548, but I have seen a few different Grizzly DCs with them installed. Keeps the crud out of the filter, and the air flowing really nicely...

I will be installing a Separator on this setup before it goes into operation. The G0548Z is a little different then the G0548 with a heavy duty impeller that it thicker otherwise pretty close to the old model.

what kind of seperator will you use? Can you post some pics once you have it set up.

This is what I am going to build for the Dust Collector. I have one on my shop vac now and it works great. Check this link for pictures and a complete description of the unit.
    http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Isnt it fun to walk out of a place like Grizzly with a bunch of nice new tools!! Ive had the pleasure a couple of times and it was nice!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Gary,

Are you going with the baffle in the inlet ring, or a full blown trash can based pre-separator...?

You lose a little bit of CFM with a pre separator, but gain a lot in ease of emptying, not to mention additional capacity if you go with say a 55 gallon drum..

I have a small shop with small needs so it will be a pre-separator in a 30 gal. garbage can. I don't think I will be doing so much that I will need anything bigger. We will see as time progresses. I just want to get the dust problem taken care of right now and then build the doors to my wall cabinet. I like to fish also and they are biting and my trolling motor is fixed now.