Thread: Portable TS recommendations please....

Portable TS recommendations please....

I'm in need of a portable tablesaw that has a folding stand with wheels I can take with me to do some volunteer work. Today I just briefly looked at the Rigid, DeWalt and Ryobi at the Borg. Yesterday I looked at the Bosch.

I need a portable that is of good quality and cost is not a factor. Dust collection is not a big issue either but would be a bonus. I do have a small portable dust collector I can take with me if needed.

I will be using it for building on-site shelves, cabinets and various storage units for some non-profit groups as well as other small repair jobs and maybe some small framing jobs such as storage sheds. I will not be using it in my own home shop where I already have a stationary TS.

Any recommendations or experiences would be helpful. (I really didn't care for what I saw of the Ryobi.) Thanks!
    Kev

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    The Bosch 4100-09 is an AWESOME contractor saw that comes on a gravity rise stand that is easy to lift and wheel around. The saw itself is exceptional and has both riving knife and blade guard. I would still be using mine if I didn't buy a SawStop cabinet saw.

Can't go wrong on the Bosch. (Amazon has pretty decent price and PRIME shipping too)
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

I used a neighbor's Ridgid portable TS.
    Very nice and smooth cuts. While I don't believe in their Lifetime Service the 3 year warranty is very good.

I think you'd be happy with either the Rigid or the Bosch

Hello Kev,

Do Not get the Hitachi job site saw - unless - you are prepared in advance to deal with it's non standard miter track.
    IIRC, the Makita job site also has a non standard slot.

It does have some serious "get up and go" though, I have to admit, & it is one of the more portable friendy ones you can find.

Mine easily fits in the trunk of my 2007 Accord w/room to spare.
    I looked at the Bosch, Makita, Ridgid, DeWalt and Hitachi - and briefly at what Craftsman had to offer ~ 3 years ago.

Jet also makes a very good benchtop model in the same price range - $200 to $250.
    If I knew about the Jet when I bought the Hitachi, I would have gone with it.

Another alternative - since it sounds like you'll be doing site work with sheet goods is a track saw.
    Probably the best feature of mine (I have the Festool TS55EQ) is that it's the final word in portability.
    End of the day, it goes in the Systainer which goes in the trunk and it goes home with me.
    It takes only a few min to break down the tracks & pack them and the saw.
    The Hitachi, even as comapact as it is, stays on the site under lock and key.

A substancial risk you'll run on every job site is theft, so you need to consider that also. That was one of my primary considerations for getting the lower cost Hitachi.
    Even in "nicer" locations, job sites have become prime targets for theft.
    (Things have eased up a bit now that copper has come down in price though.)

Also, job site uses for a TS are pretty limited. (IMHO)
    I used mine quite a bit on the last rehab we did, but only because at the time it was my only TS.
    I've since bought a TS for the shop (Ridgid TS3660). Anything that requires any level of precision, I'll do it on that and haul it to the site.

The real "workhorse" on site for me has been an 8 1/2" Workforce sliding CMS.

HTH
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Mine easily fits in the trunk of my 2007 Accord w/room to spare.
    HA! I thought I was the only one schlepping power tools in my Accord.

I use the Bosch 4100-09 saw at home and it's my primary table saw.

I got it because it was on clearance at Costco for $325. All it was missing was some bolts so I got a great deal on it.

After using it for several decent sized projects and 3 blades, I've grown to love it and have not felt the urge to jump the gun and get a Unisaw from CL just yet. (Which was my original plan, until I saw the deal at Costco I couldn't refuse..)

I even use the delta tenoning jig on the Bosch without issues. Just make sure you get the Rigid flip top outfeed supports to hand larger pieces of work. I got the Bosch extensions but I don't find them as useful as the outfeed supports.

The rigid looks solid with many of the same features though if cost is no object, I'd be all over the Bosch with digital readout fence.