Thread: Table saw - left tilt, right tilt

Table saw - left tilt, right tilt

Been looking to upgrade in the table saw department, looking for an upgrade in hp and in the fence. I'm used to a left tilt blade, my current fence doesn't set up left of the blade, so when making a bevel cut with the blade tilted, the waste material is not pinned up aganst the fence, so there is no issue with kickback or flying cut-offs from material wedged up against the fence. I'm looking at a used Jet saw (right tilt) that allows for the fence to be set up on either side of the blade, is left tilt, right tilt still an issue.

If you can shift the fence to the left a little bit and move the fence left of the blade then the right/left problem is not an issue. I have a right tilt Unisaw. I had a 50" fence shifted so I had 24" to the left of the blade and 42" to the right to make bevel cuts safer. I ended up needing the 50" rip capacity more then bevel cuts that I shifted the fence back. You will get people on both sides of the fence on this one. To each his own.

Do a search. This was discussed a couple of weeks ago and gets discussed often. You should be able to find the info you need. But as said above it is a matter of preference.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have a right blade and the minute I get a chance to replace it with a lefty I will. I got it cause it was a good deal but am still not used to it.

I always used a left tilt until this year when I got a good deal on a right tilt cabinet saw (an upgrade in power and size for me). It made me realize how infrequent (read once so far) I make bevel cuts, and when I do it's a simple move of the fence to the left of the blade.

I'd ask yourself how often you make bevel cuts, and if you do it frequently maybe the extra money would be worth it to get a left tilt - but I doubt it if money is an object. From personal experience I think people make too big of an deal about it. It wasn't until relatively recently that left tilt was the standard and folks made out fine with their right tilts.

If money wasn't an object and I was buying a new saw I would get a left tilt, but my right tilt has done me just fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna View Post
    I have a right blade and the minute I get a chance to replace it with a lefty I will. I got it cause it was a good deal but am still not used to it.
    Alright, alright, I'll just say it. Right tilt saws are EVIL!!!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler