Thread: Spraying help needed

Spraying help needed

So I just went and picked up the HF 43430 gun to use with my compressor. I've got a "large"-ish compressor (26 gal) and I hooked everything up so I could spray some emtech 6000. So I opened up the compressor all the way. Dialed the regulator at the gun to ~50psi. The fluid was opened up about 3 turns. Kept the gun about 6 inches away and orange peel like crazy. Tried moving quicker, still got it. Tried dialing the fluid flow back, still got it. So, there's obviously something wrong with my setup, AND technique. Any tips on how to reduce orange peel? I'm afraid of laying too much down and getting runs, but if I dial the fluid way back then I only end up painting with overspray (it dries before it hits the surface).The tip was 1.4, so I'm not sure if a smaller tip (1.3) would help out in this case?

Was it orange peel in the wet film or in the dry film?

It doesn't matter what it looks like wet, it's how it dries that counts.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

50 psi at the gun is too high. I usually set my gun around 20-25 psi for EM6000. The 1.4 tip is a good choice. EM6000 will look orange peelish when first sprayed, it will level out as it dries. Keep your coats at between 1-3 wet mils.

ok. good to know it wasnt entirely my technique. it was orange peel-ey in the dry but not as bad as when it was wet. the way i knew this was when i messed up in a spot and had to sand, the scuffed parts looked like orange peel. i imagine laying down something glass smooth takes a lot of practice. i will try the lower air pressure and see how that works

I agree about the pressure being to high as well. I even go a little lower than Rob with my setup. I start with it turned WAY down and ease it up until I see that it is atomizing properly. For USL that is somewhere around 15-18 IIRC. Something else Rob mentioned that deserves repeating which is the 1-3 wet mils. When trying to diagnose an issue (or anytime really) it is very important to be able to say - with accuracy - what your film thickness is. I have a tough enough time guessing inches not to mention mils when looking down onto a flat surface with no perceivable depth.

so how do you go about measuring the thickness? any easy way without getting some fancy new tool?

Kermlin wet flim thickness gauge

If you scroll down the page to about mid way of this link http://www.technospray.nl/folders/accessories.pdf you can see what a mil thickness gauge looks like and how to get one
    www.josephfusco.org

You can also sometimes find them at paint stores. Total cost should be less than $5.00 and they are very easy to use.