Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: whats a good natural finish for mahogany?

1/3 Varnish 1/3 tung oil , 1/3 BLO

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    My favorite:
    1/3 polyurethane (or varnish, sheen of your choice), 1/3 tung oil, 1/3 BLO.
    Your technique sounds fine. Why 1/3 BLO and 1/3 tung oil? Most oil/varnish blends are 1/3 varnish, 1/3 oil, 1/3, mineral spirits (MS) a.k.a. paint thinnner.

What advantage is 1/3 varnish and 2/3 oil? It will produce a much softer, less durable finish.

When you say "tung oil" are you using 100% tung oil or some tung oil finish?

If by chance you are using Formby's Tung Oil then I know why you like the finish so much; you are using 1/3 varnish; 1/3 BLO and 1/3 Formby's Tung Oil (an alkyd resin/soya oil varnish mixed 75-80% with MS) so in essence what you have is 1/3 BLO, a little more then 1/3 varnish, and a little lees than 1/3 MS.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

This is Sam Maloof's finish of choice. It's the 1st I've heard of doubling down on 2 types of oil; but it worked for him.

Scott,
    That's the finish Sam Maloof used on his pieces. I always have some mixed up. I use pure tung oil, not a mixture. The varnish/oil/mineral spirits combo will work well, too. I have used that quite a bit.