Thread: How do I make this?

How do I make this?

Ok... I have been getting tired of looking at that partially tile wall around my fireplace (1.5 years so far), thought I should get going on the woodwork around it.

Here is the Sketchup model:

Here is what I have done so far:

Close up (nice veneer):

Now my question: how should I do the arch part? it is a very gradual arch, I think 2in of rise over the 29in section (54in radius, IIRC). The thickness is 3/4ish with the depth (into the page) of 3.5in. I was initially thinking bent lamination which would be a first for me. Then I got hung up on how to attach it to the rest of the lower section (of the top horizontal part). This got me to thinking I could glue up boards (face glue) around the arch and cut it out with the bandsaw. This would give me the flat bottom from one board plus I could cut dados in before I glue the pieces up.

Any thoughts, comments?

If I were making that, I'd make a template out of 1/2" thick MDF, rough the stock out with a bandsaw and then use a router with a guide-bearing straight bit to finish up.

I am not, however, the expert here.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

you can resaw the wood and glue it back together and clamp around form to the amount of arc that you want
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Good suggestions already. I think it looks really good. You probably have thought about it, but I would be sure to not make it stick out too far. The radiation of heat from these inserts is pretty high. Watch out for the fire/building codes as well.

I would saw the arch out of a piece of 12/4 or a face glue up of similar thickness as my first and most straight forward option. Another possibility would be to make 4-5 individual curved pieces cut from flat sawn 4/4 and edge glue these to make up the 3"+- width you need. A veneered bent lamination would be another option, possibly formed up with bending plywood and edged with a curved piece of solid stock.