Thread: hannestool

hannestool

has anyone here used the tools from hannestool.com? look like almost dup's of glaser - handle, steel, etc - am interested in hearing about them, and then buying one. mike

Mike, the steel is a Thompson Tools gouge. The handle is very comfortable, a nice balance of weight to length ratio and comes in a variety of sizes. The rubber grip is very nice!! JoHannes is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I'd highly recommend giving him a call and chatting about them. There are a couple of Youtube videos that JoHannes has put out, two of which are on the tools, one is an overview and one is on the grind.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...annestool&aq=f

greg, does he get the steel from doug thompson, or just the same company? this is also the steel glaser used in his red handled line of tools, is it not? mike

Mike, doug makes the gouges themselves for JoHannes, then JoHannes puts them in handle.

If you look on Doug's site you'll see JoHannes as one of the turners with 'signature' tools, that's the Hannestool.

Yes, my understanding is that A11/V10 were the red handled Glaser tools as well as the Thompson tools. "Cryo" techniques are used with both. I have a detail Thompson gouge as well as a "Grumbine" signature bowl gouge (made by Thompson tools). Both are my "go-to" tools for their designated applications. I absolutely love the steel, and milling as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Kahn View Post
    Mike, doug makes the gouges themselves for JoHannes, then JoHannes puts them in handle.
    Correction:

doug makes the gouges himself for JoHannes...
    It is a one man operation!

Doug and I belong to the same turning Clubs. Doug was a Jerry Glaser gouge user. When Mr. Glaser retired and sold his business, the new company raised the price on the replacement blades. Doug is a machinist, that was what made him to make his own A-11 bowl gouges. The A-11 steel are from the same supplier and using the same cryogenic treatment method as specified by http://www.crucibleservice.com/datash/ds10Vv7b.pdf
    They are the same red handle gouges as Jerry Glaser used. (Have no knowledge about the new Glaser tool tool or process.)
    Doug made the first batch for himself and gave some away for feedback for improvement. The heat treatment of small batch is very costly and a high rate of failure. That was what caused him into production. The cost of this tool steel is very high. He believes if he let them go through normal retail outlets, the price would be less affordable. Therefore you can only buy them direct from him.
    The Glaser tool has a reputation of clogging. Doug has done a lot of experiments to change the curvature and depth of flute ( I have seen some of those prototypes); his V bowl gouge doesn't clog and has more steel under the edge.

The Thompson gouges were sharpened on a Oneway Varigrind jig. The Hannes tools has his signature free hand grind.

Disclaimer: I am proud to call Doug a friend, but I have no financial relationship with him, other than customer.
    Gordon

Hey Mike,
    Hannestools are the best. I've got 4 of his handled and 2 of them with his tools, mening Thompson gouges. I've got other similar tools also. They have the best feel of any of the tools. And just seemed to be weighted just right. Hannes is a really nice guy to talk too also. Always eager to talk shop. Get a couple and letus know what they are like for YOU!!