Thread: pocket holes?

pocket holes?

anyone ever filled pocket holes with wood filler? any issues with doing this

They make pocket hole plugs in different flavors of wood.

My theory is, don't use pocket holes where you'll see them, and thus, you don't have to worry about seeing them, filled or otherwise.

They would take a lot of wood filler. If I had to fill one, I'd use Bondo.

Todd

3. filler?

don't use filler on the whole thing. glue a dowel rod cut the angle and then fill if necessary. you will get a lot of shrinkage if you fill the whole hole .
    harold

Yeah, use a dowel; IMHO, 'precut plugs' are a ripoff.

If you use wood filler, you'll have to do it a few times to get it smooth.

You guys got me thinking. Use a dowel, then a flush trim saw. Instant poor mans plugs. I'm going to try it out soon. I'll admit it, I bought the Kreg plugs, but they required sanding down, so what is the point?

Blog Entries
    I've filled some pocket holes with dowels. Even when filled with a dowel, the holes are still pretty noticeable since the grain is running at a different angle to the sureface grain of the wood the hole is in. What is needed is a dowel with the grain running on the 15 degree angle so it would closely match the surface.

When I use dowels, I put glue in the hole, tap in the dowel, let it set up and then use a flush cutting saw to cut off the dowel. I also use the angled piece of dowel left from the first cut to plug the scond hole. I cut it a bit long and use the corner of a flat screw driver to push the angled dowel into the hole. You will still need to sand everything flush.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I suggested to Kreg tool that they make an angled plug hole cutter. If you had one you could cut a plug with the proper grain orientation out of scrap wood from your project. Should be much less visible if you got the grain orientation right, and much less expensive. They said that they would think about it.
    Scott

I have on a childs toy. I the years since I have seen no issues. It's not invisable but the filler has held up.
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"