Thread: CL Grizzly Jointer

CL Grizzly Jointer

I'm a novice woodworker looking for a jointer and came across this 6" one on CL.

There's no manuals and has seen little use according to the owner. He's not sure how old it is or what the model is, after a bit of research, I think it's a G1182. Originally asking $350 but will take $200. Being new, I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not. I think $150 or less is more like it. Would I be able to get manuals from Grizzly? I haven't been over to see it and quite honestly I'm not sure that would matter being that I wouldn't know what to look for. Any helpful tips if this was/is a decent machine and would be a good deal or not?
    Last edited by Tim Robert; 06-24-2009 at 10:29 AM.

May be a fair deal...

From the color of green I have seen on other machines, I'd guess it is 8-10 years old, Taiwan-made. If it is in as good condition as it appears and the mobile base is included, $200 is about the limit of what I would pay - a new comparable one is not much more than twice that.

If you know the model number, Grizzly has manuals online for just about anything they ever sold:

http://www.grizzly.com/manuals.aspx

I would take a good straightedge and check tables and fence for flatness, warp, and pareallelism, see if the table adjustments are smooth-operating and the guard works, and whether the motor looks and sounds in good condition. It looks like the dust port is missing but something similar can be had from Woodcraft or Rockler.

If it is in good mechanical condition, $200 seems like a fair price for it.

I have the same jointer

I bought this from Grizzly (Bellingham) in 1990. Its been a good jointer but I believe the fit and finish of the newer Grizzly models is a lot better. There is nothing missing - it never came with a dust chute - I installed an aftermarket one. I believe I paid around $350-400 for this in 1990. I am looking to upgrade and will sell mine for approx $175. $350 is way out of line, $200 is closer to what it is worth.
    Jeff Fondaw

I have the same machine. Bought it used last year for $150. Put some new blades on it and it works great. Tables were level and flat. Added a 4" jointer dust collector fitting to the outlet. Grizzly manual available on line as stated in earlier reply. It may not match exact, as there were differences in the fences and stops used during production back then, but the rest of the information is accurate in the manual. These also came with a knife setting jig. This is not important to have, as a jointer-pal or dial indicator referenced off the outfeed table is a more accurate setup. It has served well in my small home shop. I am looking at upgrading to the 8" G0490X now that I am using more locally milled rough cut lumber. I am planning on selling the jointer for what I payed for it on CL when I pull the string for the replacement.