Thread: Shop building tip

Shop building tip

When I built my shop three years ago (stick built), I insulated the ceiling and walls with R-30 and R-13, then drywalled it, and used Low E double pane windows. One thing I did not do, was to install the roof sheeting with the foil thermal barrier.

Right now, I am building an addition on the house, and we used the thermal barrier roof sheeting. It is OSB 5/8" with an applied foil on one side. The inspector recommended it, and said it will keep the attic space 15 degrees cooler in summer. We are just wrapping the building now, for stucco, and it really seems to work. The insulation is not even in yet, and the building does not seem to be very hot near the roof.

It only costs 2 or $3 a sheet, total cost less than $300. Wish I had it in the shop.

Rick Potter

I used this on my shop, walls and ceilings, after seeing the difference it made on some of my projects at work.
    (I'm a fire and water restoration contractor)
    I usually have one of the big boxes "meet and beat" the price, so it's nearly a free upgrade.
    Here in central Texas it really makes a huge difference.

Jeff Fischer

Back in 2000/2001 (IIRC) the California energy code was amended to require radiant barrier sheathing for roofs and gable ends of attics over conditioned space. The building departments were really promoting this with some slick models to demonstrate temperature differences with the foil faced sheathing. I used it for several projects, including my own house. I also put it over the spaced sheathing when replacing existing shake roofs. I'm not convinced that it is effective in the climate where I was working (Bay area). My opinion is unscientific and based on the few times I was in the attics during hot weather. I'm sure that the climate in central Texas makes more of a difference in performance as noted by Jeff. Like I said, just my opinion. YMMV.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

That stuff works wonders here in the sonoran desert. I think the cost for putting it in our house was under $200, and I'm sure the energy savings surpassed that amount in the first few months.

I built a shop last year and tried to purchase this from both LP and GP. Both of them were not selling this product in Ohio, however both of them sent me samples. I was able to purchase some 2' wide foil over the internet and that with some contact cement, made my own. Your right it makes a big difference.
    One thing to rember is both makers of this product say to allow 1" of air space between the foil and your insulation (the plastic vents do this). If you place your insulation in direct contact, it won't work as all that heat is transfered to the insulation.