Thread: An African Waterfall - Entry Table of Birthday Bubinga

Blog Entries

An African Waterfall - Entry Table of Birthday Bubinga

The first project made from the Waterfall Bubinga that my family gave me for my birthday. The concept was sketched by my nephew Thom after I talked about the "waterfall" of wood. The finish is Waterlox. I am going to submit this in a local furniture design contest in the fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Dave, when you first posted about the gift, there were several comments suggesting a vertical application - mine included. I think this project really makes the most of the live edge, and the waterfall effect of the Bubinga. Very well done, original and unique, and surely a contest winner! What is the dark wood used for the supports, etc.?

Blog Entries
    John
    The other woods are: Carcass is walnut, dark supports are wenge,
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

The walnut I picked up on - it is my favorite wood! But, the exotics are really foreign (pun intended) to me, and I do not recognize them by name. Ed Sallee, and some of the other box builders use them often, and I am getting somewhat educated - but it is slow

Blog Entries
    That's a great design, very eye-catching. Love the wood too, of course.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

beautiful cabinet! I love the integration of the slab with the refined lines of the cabinet. Im not too keen on the triangle section next to the box though, but otherwise a fantastic piece. keep in mind Im hardly a design expert.
    Last edited by Eiji Fuller; 06-26-2009 at 1:56 AM.
    Fullerbuilt

Very original design and I really like the live edge. If I were a judge it would certainly catch my eye.

I love bubinga but simply can't afford it. I would have probably ripped those edges off but... you did an excellent job of using them in this case. The whole scheme is co-ordinated well and you have an excellent end result.

Sarge..

I like it, very unique. Good job!

Stunning design and work!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...