Thread: Delta Model 10, Serious pointer problem

Delta Model 10, Serious pointer problem

I recently bought an older Delta Model 10 Contractor saw at an auction, I never learn. It wasn't until I got it home that I noticed that tilt degree pointer was inside the case/base. I have pulled it apart to clean it up and find that it is not simply a case of bending the pointer back. I noticed that the hold down knob on the blade elevation wheel is missing, that makes me wonder if the shaft from another model was used. I would like an opinion before I start trying to pull the shaft back where it would place the pointer outside of the base.

I am adding a couple of attachments to show the location of the shaft, a large screwdriver just fits between the shaft and the casting. I just looked at that picture again and noticed a set screw, maybe I had better look into that. The other picture is an "over all".

Any recommendations on a spray cleaner for all fo the pitch, etc?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Faust View Post
    Any recommendations on a spray cleaner for all for the pitch, etc?
    PBblaster at an auto parts store, or "Bar Keepers Friend" mixed to a paste with water.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 06-26-2009 at 7:20 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Tim, you've answered your own question! Dont BEND ANYTHING!! That setscrew does indeed adjust the pointer. The lock knobs on the height/tilt wheels were plastic with brass threaded inserts on early Model 10s. They screw onto the threaded shafts with a fiber washer between for friction.

I, too bought a Rockwell Model 10 at auction years ago and completely cleaned/restored it! It was a fine CS for me, for quite a few years! (A step Wayyy Up from Crapsman!)

Get a copy of the Delta owners/parts manual over at OWWM that shows 3D views of how the saw goes together. That will guide you through your cleaning/tweaking of the CS.

I used a great article in FWW #78, p.69, on Tuning Up Your Table Saw, to guide me through my adjustments, once ALL parts were disassembled, cleaned, repainted and put back together!
    GoodLuck!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

While you are inspecting this saw, check to see that the front bar that the fence clips to, the round, chromed bar, is straight. I bought a Delta 10 many years ago, brand new, attached the pieces as instructed, and used it for a short while before I discovered that the bar was bowed. This was using the pieces that came new! I ended up having to file down some of the short pieces to which the bar was attached to allow the bar to be attached properly. I guess that this could have been done with shims also. I was pretty disappointed that a new saw was in that condition. Ultimately, I bought a Unifence and have been very happy with that since. I made a few modifications over the years, including a true riving knife, which I posted here last month.