Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottle stopper finish

Bottle stopper finish

I know I saw something not to long ago about your opinions on the best and durable finish for bottle stoppers. I think the concensus was Deft finish. Cant find the thread...
    So.. Im asking the same question..what is the best durable finish for bottle stoppers?
    thanks for anticpated help.... Gary

Gary - I use Deft brushing lacquer and really like being able to apply and build the finish while still on the lathe.

This may be the post you were thinking of, If not, it still has a lot of great info on bottle stopper finishes. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=lacquer
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I friction on Deft. It's alcohol resistant and goes on well on the lathe.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Question

Has anyone used the Myland friction polish? If so, how does it hold up on kitchen utensil handles?

I have used the Myland product twice and it gives a good looking finish. Turn in a coat of MYland, followed by a polishing using Tripoli, and then a final coat of Myland. The end product is quite good, IMO. If it is not good for kitchen use, that is OK with me, I'll just use in other applications.

One last thought, has anyone used Arm-R-Seal, from General Finishes, on turnings?

Thanks, now back to regularly scheduled programming.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken,
    I use Mylands followed by Ren wax. I generally follow the procedure used by Steven Russell in his DVD "Turning Elegant Bottle Stoppers".

I use Deft and friction it on while on the lathe. It is a good strong finish. Myland friction IMHO does not hold up at all with kitchen utensils especially if stored in a drawer with other utensils.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

thanks

thanks for the input and link.... much appreciated....I'll have a glass of wine on you guys when Im done....

I have Mylands but I don't use it on bottlestoppers or anything that gets heavy use.

Mylands is a shellac and wax finish. I really like shellac and I like Mylands but find neither holds up well on heavy use. But they are easy to repair.

The solvent for shellac is alcohol thus any wine that might get on the stopper could potentially damage the finish.

Typically, if I use BLO to pop the grain on a bottlestopper, I'll friction the BLO and then apply 1 or 2 coats of dewaxed shellac....Zinssers. Then, I'll friction 2 or 3 coats of Deft brushing lacquer and buff.

The reason for the dewaxed shellac is so the lacquer will stick to the bottlestopper. Some folks have had bad experiences with lacquer not sticking directly to BLO thus the dewaxed shellac between the BLO and lacquer.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I am the odd man out but I use ca and it holds up great. I even use it on my peppermills I started buying it buy the 16oz bottle.

Bob

Thanks

Thank you gentlemen. It sounds like I need to investigate the Deft solution.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ca

I also use CA glue to finish bottle stoppers. Very durable and a very good shine.

Steve

Google "OB's Shine Juice". I use it and the finish holds up great.
    Grant
    GO Buckeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    One last thought, has anyone used Arm-R-Seal, from General Finishes, on turnings?

Thanks, now back to regularly scheduled programming.
    I use GF ArmRSeal and Gloss poly on bottle stoppers. Shiny is more resistant to various things than matte. So far, the stoppers I've made for my wife and friends have held up just fine.

I've thought about CA, but was convinced I'd managed to glue the stopper to the mandrel.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I must be the odd man out, I use deft pray on somer stopper when I'm in a hurry, but I've had great results with spar urethane, which I think handles the in and out of the fridge really well, and is really durable. Buffs up very shiny.

Friction Lacquer Guys, have you ever detailed your specific procedure with brushing lacquer? As in, type of applicator (dip finger in can?), lathe speed, etc. On larger work, brushing can save some $ compared to spray.
    Richard in Wimberley