Thread: First project using hand plane

First project using hand plane

After getting alot of good advice from this board, I bought my first hand plane, a Record No. 5 jack plane with a LN replacement blade.

For its first real test, I used it to flatten and smooth my first cutting board (lots of firsts, as I'm a true newbie). I made it using Mike Schwing's tutorial: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/2/.

I used a combo of hard maple and African mahogany. I deliberately left the pieces pretty rough and uneven in thickness as a test of my new plane, and as a learning opportunity. My new plane was a joy to use and doing it this way taught me alot. The cutting board is far from perfect, but I'm overall very pleased with the result. I'm planning on doing several more for Christmas presents.

Thanks to all who provided such great advice.

Bill

P.S. On the advice of many, I also bought the Veritas MK. II honing guide, and re-sharpened my blade at the end of the project-it was very easy to use and with some wet-dry sandpaper on a piece of granite, restored it's razor edge very quickly and easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Schmitz; 06-27-2009 at 4:27 PM.

Nice Job

Looking good, Bill. And it looks like you've even got an apprentice to help out.

I like the design - very interesting. Good job.

That looks like a pretty big cutting board, however.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I like the design - very interesting. Good job.

That looks like a pretty big cutting board, however.

Mike
    Thanks. It is pretty good sized: 19 x 12 inches, and when you consider that I lost an 1/8 of an inch with every cut of every strip, it used up a fair amount of wood . . . certainly not the most economical use of wood, but the design really caught my eye and will look very nice on my granite center island . . . even when I'm not using it. :-)

Bill

Nice cutting board. And welcome to the use of handplanes. I have a 5 1/2 and really enjoy using it also.

Very nice design

and planing is fun, isn't it? You've go one foot on a very slippery slope, but the ride down is sure fun.

And keep that young woman in the shop: we need as many as possible of the next generation understanding what tools are and how they work.

Blog Entries
    Very nice looking cutting board. Almost too nice to use.

The Record also looks good.

jim