Thread: Woodwright's School

Woodwright's School

If you haven't already seen it in PW, Roy Underhill has opened a school:

The website isn't overly informative, but it looks interesting.

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-03-2009 at 6:53 AM.
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

His school is featured on the cover of one of the WW mags, just out. Either Popular Woodworking or Woodworking Journel, can't remember which. Lots of pictures though.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

It was PWW - good article, and I would think Roy will do well with his approach. He is looking at a 1930's shopclass atmosphere with no tailed tools.

I would be afraid to take my demo tools there, Unc Roy might get too attached to some of them. At least he might learn which way the chisel is supposed to work on a Scissors Mortiser. Ie, his episode at the upper Canada Workshop long ago.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

At living history farms in Des Moines, Iowa, there are a couple of foot powered table saws, a hand cranked self feed rip saw, a foot powered shaper/router, a pedal scroll saw and a rather large and long treadle lathe.

I have a treadle lathe, a Barnes Foot Mortiser and a Lester improved scroll saw.

Last edited by harry strasil; 06-28-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

For those interested in foot-powered machines and that are in the NC/SC/VA area, there is the annual upcoming MWTCA event at Ed Hobb's farm in Raleigh. He has one of the largest collections of foot-powered woodworking and metalworking tools around - including something that seems really outlandish - a very heavy-duty foot-powered metal lathe with a chuck that has to weigh in at over 200 lbs., and (I'm guessing here) a swing-over-bed of at least 8 inches. How'd you like to power that all day with pedals?

My wife gave me the opportunity to take the class from Mr Underhill as an anniversity gift.

The class was fantastic!!!

I now probably have to take her to Europe to pay her back.

Say, England is in Europe. Isn't David Charlesworth giving classes. Yeah, I think a trip to Europe is in order.

I went to this class and it was awesome, I highly recommend it. I am keeping my eye out to see if he does another because the value for money is fantastic. Roy's discussion is almost better than the woodworking demonstration. He even was kind enough to cut his finger with a chisel and bleed on my dovetails, just like the TV show!