Thread: How narrow of a panel can I safely run over my panel raising bit?

How narrow of a panel can I safely run over my panel raising bit?

Hey folks. I have a bathroom cabinet and vanity in the pipeline to build in a few months as you can see in the sketchup pic. The dimensions are not 100% finalized, but it's looking like each door might be about 11"W x 36"H with 3" rails and stiles. That means the panels will be about 5.5"W x 30.5"H and I'm using a Freud 3.5" panel raising bit which should cut about 1.5" deep on each side. Can I run a panel this narrow or am I asking for trouble? Should I take any extra precautions or use additional hold downs or something like that?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Timely

I've a a pair of similar panels for a similar cabinet to raise tomorrow - wasn't anticipating any problems but I'm listening... My doors are 8 5/16 wide with 2 inch rails - so panel will be 5 1/8 wide ( and 28 long) . Same bit.

I'm thinking featherboard. Three steady passes. Two inch flat on the router table should be enough (it's oak).

The ends may be more challenging. Thinking about that - I'll clamp on a couple of sister boards - a wide leader and backer to give a longer reference end.

I'll post afterwards -

- Jack
    Jack Hutchinson

The "best" way is to "gang" two panels together by gluing them up into one panel, shaping the ends and both edges and then ripping them apart. That leaves one "long edge" to shape on each panel. You may want to make a supporting shim for the cut edge. Depends a lot on how wide the flat center field is.
    David DeCristoforo

I had a customer that wanted some raised panel drawer fronts. So this week I cut some 3 3/4" wide raised panels with a Freud 2 3/4" 2 plus 2 bit. No problem.

Burt

I've also done a few drawer fronts and I think a feather board may be more hindrance than help. It might try to get under an already cut edge and lift or re-position your panel. I don't use a feather board unless the edge is square. With a 28" panel on a small bearing face, I'd practice on a piece of shelving just to make sure I had support and clearance for the panel.

If your bit has a ball bearing guide & the panel will ride against the bearing, you can run about any width panel. I would recommend using a miter gauge or some other type of push block on the narrower panels.

Finally got back to the shop - shaped panels 4 7/8 wide x 28 long with 3 1/2 Freud panel raising bit on my Bench Dog TS extension router table. No problem. Used a coping sled for the ends. Three passes each way.
    Jack Hutchinson