Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Top Cleaning

Barkeepers Friend

I get Bar Keepers Friend at the grocery stores. Same location as Ajax, Comet, etc.

Paul

I have to say, I've had really good results over the years using Boeshield T9 as well.

As far as protection goes, I have found something that works better than anything period. I used a magnetic cover you can buy them from woodcraft and they work just great. They run about $50 and are 27"x44" and stick right down. I put a coat of wax on about evey other month and put the cover on when not in use. I have yet to see any problems with rust even during the good old MN "pea soup" days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Galluzzo View Post
    I have to say, I've had really good results over the years using Boeshield T9 as well.

Everytime I use T9, I get a sticky film on my saw. Have you experienced this?

Renissance wax is the wax that the conservation department in Col.Williamsburg uses. I use it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I used to. Now I spray it on, rub it in, and wipe it off. It leaves a thin film that is not sticky. I then coat with paste wax. I haven't have any issues with rust

Another variation on the Bar Keeper's Friend -
    I use 3 in 1 oil with the powdered Bar.K.F. and mix it into a greenish slurry (why it turns green I have no idea- the oil is brownish and the powder is white - go figure). Rubbing gently with a finger wrapped in paper towel for about 10 seconds and the light surface rust seemed to disapppear. Any longer and I started to burnish/polish the surface so I stopped. BTW - I was using this stuff on brand new tablesaw wings that had some light surface rust on the edges - perhaps the cosmoline was not on there thick enough. It did the trick for the most part.

If anyone has used the Bar Keepers Friend and then found something that was more aggressive I'd like to hear from them - I have a slight outline on one the rust stains above that I'd like to remove completely.

Good Luck
    Lewis

Slipit

This is what I use with a 3M ScotchBrite pad.

Blog Entries
    I bought some boeshield rust free to help cleanup my TS and shaper, and it is some potent stuff. Don't let it sit too long, and make sure your shop is well ventilated.
    Jacob is dead-on. Read and respect the label; this stuff is caustic. I spray it on and begin wiping immediately. An old machine had dark shadows (not the soap opera) and I sprayed, counted to 5 and they nearly disappeared.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

#1 Recommendation to keep the saw rust free going foreward.:

don't use the saw when it's 95 degrees out and humid as hell as it has been last few weekends in Florida. I'm drenched within an hour of opening the overhead door and no matter how careful i try to be i always drip on the tops. Arg!

thx
    -brad

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a lot of good advice that I will try next time on my saw. I used some sanding pads in various grits to remove the rust and polish. The saw had been sitting for quite a while unused. Then I sprayed it with Topcote. I think I got the pads and the topcote from Rockler but not sure. That was about 3 + years ago and it still looks good except where I have left a can sitting on it.

This forum is just awesome!

I went to the BORG, and yes they do carry Barkeepers Friend. 2 bucks! I tried it on the outfeed table of my sander, and WOW! does it work. Field test for me, to see if I actually want to use it on my table saw. And my jointer.....

I can't believe only 1 other person uses Renissance (sp?) wax........ That just does not remove rust. It's good though, self removing, no buildup.

This gentleman came up with a good solution to getting stains off.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...94629#poststop

John

Yes, I get that everytime. When it dries it gets kind of sticky, then I do a quick buff of the top with a clean soft rag. Applying it seemed really weird in that it did get sticky, but it does a good job of staying nice and smooth.

I originally got the T9 as a gift a few years ago because I was constantly fighting rust issues. I had seen it before, but the price originally kept me from it. Funny, you don't need much anyways.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    OK.. to the folks that use Barkeepers Friend.

I have some now and it works very nicely! But... the question I have is if you use it in a slurry of 3:1 oil or WD40, what do you clean off the residual with before waxing? Damp water towel? Just wipe?

Don't want to leave the residue so I'm curious as to what is best to remove it before using T-9 or Wax. Thanks
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten