Thread: Just went to look

Just went to look

I only went to the auction to take a look, I swear! But I came home with these. I already had a jigsaw of this model number, but at $4.00 I couldn't resist it. I really do need the RAS. I shelled out a c-note for it. This is the forerunner of Delta's first RAS as they bought out Red Star in 1950. I have some rather large boards to rip and crosscut and this 12" saw should fill the bill. I will remove the casters as they don't lock. It also has the owners manual and a flyer for saw blades. I also bought the "west side of the shed" for $5. Iwill be spending the rest of the day hauling wood. Much of it will just go in a burn pile but there were some large timbers in there so I figure I didn't get hurt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by George Sanders View Post
    I only went to the auction to take a look, I swear!
    Reminds me of Clinton's comment "I didn't inhale and never tried it again." I didn't believe him then, either

As self confessed tool addicts, we must confront our own demons - they live at auctions!!! What better place to come face to face with our weaknesses!

No need to explain why you spent $9. I think you got a good deal.
    How heavy is that scroll saw? Looks pretty substantial.
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

Joe, you missed the part about the C note on the RAS! Still a great day for George unless he herniates a disc loading and hauling the "west side of the shed."

West side of shed

I dug around in the shed and only found a few good boards. One 16'x3 1/2"x7" southern pine. About 3 more just under 8" and 3 16' 1x6 untreated tongue and groove. Quite a few oak roughsawn about 2x7 four and five feet long. All for $5.
    I did good last week at a yard sale. I bought 46 BF of walnut and 16 Bf of clear white oak for $115. Most of it was at least 2'' thick.
    I just paid for it and the woman said her husband had to give up woodworking after his open heart surgery. I find that very sad and it explains why everything was priced to sell. I later used an online BF calculator and found I had paid $1.98 @Bf for the walnut and $1.45 @BF for the oak.

Good finds George. I go to a local outdoor flea market every Sunday, Just to look. I bring some money with me, just in case. Every once in a while I score pretty well.

Wife asks "If your just going to look why are you bringing money with you" as she laughs at me. Come to think of it when I met my wife i was just looking.....

"Come to think of it when I met my wife i was just looking....."

Did you have any money with you?
    David DeCristoforo

Update

Plugged in the RAS today. Ran it up to full rpm. Shut it off. That 12" blade spun for nearly a full minute before it stopped. Don't need bearings there. This thing does scare me though. I have what I think is a healthy respect for it. The scroll saw purrs like a kitten. Doesn't need more than new paint. I forgot to mention I also got a like new Drill Doctor for $10 at the same sale.