Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw restoration finally done

Awesome! Love that semi-old "arn".
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    GREAT job Ben......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I am restoring an old 20" Delta from the 50's. It's all there,fortunately,except a fence,which I managed to find. I need to get back to repainting it. It came from a school shop,probably,and had the usual barn brush thick paint job. Had to sand it all over,and installed a 1 phase motor.

This old saw is olive drab in its interior. I'm wondering if it started out in the Army.

Your saw looks really good,ready for many more decades.
    Apparently all Delta saws of that generation were originally painted Grey but some of them turn green with age due to some issue with original paint formulation. And yes, I know I am playing thread necromancer.

Woot ....

Powermatic 87 bearings.....

Beware there are a couple different transmissions for this model, not all bearings are the same among the variant models, the manual for ” maintenance instructions and parts list” ( from last page ,May 1979) shows the bearing for my model 87;(should show on page 34, transmission assy 87 lbs 0340058 on lower right of page ). There were no numbers to denote the correct manuals ( !*&#@), go figure

Transmission and saw wheel bearing…………

TORRINGTON/KOYO NEEDLE BEARING J1212 or 1612OH Torrington New Needle Bearing (quantity 1)

SKF 6207-2RSNR, SEALED BEARING W SNAP RING ( 4 ) or equal

6205-2NSENR Nachi Bearing 25x52x15 Sealed C3 Snap Ring ( 2 ) or equal

6206-2RS SKF Brand rubber seal 6206-rs ball bearings 6206 rs ( 4 ) or equal

Timken 9111pp Bearing ( 1 ) or equal

Lenze AC Invertor Vari Speed Drive 2Hp 240V ESV152N02YXC, for 2hp, 3 phase motor

Zambus CarryMaster AC-1300F Swivel Leveling Caster Wheels Feet ( 4) , possibly Ebay has similar for a lot less, have a few, likely from the same Chinese manufacturer. Search Retractable Leveling Machine Casters Heavy Duty

Bearings are easy enough to replace, a little tough if your bearing press decides to blow a seal when you need it, like mine; resorted to plastic hammer to get the bearings installed, needle bearing needed a blind bearing puller. My Powermatic was from an auction, was not used a lot, almost all the bearings needed replacement, only 2 still had functional life. A couple bearing were bad enough to slightly score the shafts they were on, though no major damage.

If the Pharaoh's had these machines in their time, they would have had one in their pyramid tombs for their after life man caves. Built to last centuries, except for the bearings

Nicely done, I'm sure there will be somebody in 100 years blessing you for so carefully preserving this tool.

OP has had 12-1/2 years to run his restored saw now.
    Wonder if he's wore the bearings out yet?

Well done! Machines undoubtedly intimidate me and I've never dove in to a project like this.

Wowie Zowie! Want to sell it?

Aside from the products you will make with it, mu hat is off to you!