Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who's hordeing the old decent block planes

Question who's hordeing the old decent block planes

I have been watching the bay for months trying to find an old 60-1/2 or 65 in decent shape. whats the deal, why are these two models so hard to come by at reasonable prices($30 - $40)?
    -Dan

I don't think they are hard to come by. When I was looking for one (60 1/2) a couple months back, generally they went about $25 to $35 in a pretty decent shape. Older ones and prettier ones seem to go a bit more, but I think it's mostly up to your luck. For me, what's important is mostly defect free, wide blade bed. Don't mind slight rust or scratches since they go away in the process of lapping anyway. If ones in your liking are going a bit out of reach, a bit of rust or patina seems to keep price down.

Just to make you feel better, I paid $75 for a #60. I know it's a lot of money for such a small plane, but it was in great condition and it's rare of the 60-60 1/2 family. I'm sure I can find cheaper #60, but then I don't regret one bit. It feels good in hand, light, nimble and shiny nickel plated lever cap! Of course, clumsy me dropped it and shattered the body, subsequently had to buy a 60 1/2 to transplant the body to make it complete... At least I found one from about the same era without "60 1/2" engraved on the side. Plus it was from about the same era, with wide blade bed.

Just be patient and you'll come across one to your liking within your price range. Your price range isn't unreasonable at all.

Hi Sam,

It's not that they are out of reach, more like not worth what people are asking/paying. I have no problem paying a high price for a good tool, but everything I have seen lately looks like it's been used as an anvil or boat anchor.

take a look at these two, both have a few days to go and have already been bid up to the $11 - $13 range.

this one is ridiculously rusty

check out the mouth on this one.
    -Dan

Yeah these aren't exactly the award winning planes for sure. Some people might be buying them for parts. Junkers like those still have quite value when parted out and sold as individual parts. If you check one some vintage tool dealers, they have plane parts for sale (like depth adjuster screw for 10 bucks, lever cap 15, etc...). Probably reputable tool dealers have quite a flow of parts coming and going, so perhaps those people benefit from junkers like above.

I wonder what happened to the second one, though. Looks like someone tried to fix chipped mouth, but left a hump...The rest of parts are very good! Imagine that, getting that one for, say $15, sell individual parts minus body for about $45. Not bad, eh?

Thumbs up

I've seen several new Record 60-1/2's from Great Britain on Ebay UK at reasonable prices. Be sure they ship to the US.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You might also try searching ebay for Millers Falls #56 and #57. They are essentially equivalent to the No 60 1/2 and 65 (though without the knuckle cap - would that make it like a 65 1/2 but with a japaned cap?...curse you and your marketing stanley!!) The quality is just as good if not better.

Who's hoarding the old decent block planes?

Why, I am ....

I am planing to do bunch of mini reviews of all these block planes (some have full reviews on my website). Many on on loan (on the condition that I fettle them!), more than I care to admit are mine.

I've got to fit this is in and around a chest of drawers that Lynndy has asked me to build, plus a bunch of other items ... the list never seems to end. I should get to the mini reviews in about 6-8 weeks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by dan sherman View Post
    I have been watching the bay for months trying to find an old 60-1/2 or 65 in decent shape. whats the deal, why are these two models so hard to come by at reasonable prices($30 - $40)?
    I sent you a private message.

Hoarding

I think it's the same people hoarding dictionaries.

You might want to try Walt at Brass City Tools. He's a great guy and has reasonable prices.

A knuckle joint 65 in decent condition is definitely going to be more than $30 - $40. And using a knuckle joint block plane is an acquired taste. I have both a knuckle joint 65 and low angle LN. Let's say you discover the lever cap is a bit too tight on the LN and you want to loosen it so you can move the blade easier. You turn the big adjustment wheel and you're back in business.

But on the 65, you have to loosen the knuckle joint and then adjust the screw that attaches it, then close the knuckle joint and see if it's to your liking now. Once you get that screw set, you don't want to move it. Also, the knuckle joint comes off opposite to other block planes - you slide it forward to remove it, rather than back.

If you go to buy a 65, look very closely at the back corners of the mouth for cracks. Many, many of them are cracked. Probably caused by some previous owner tightening the lever cap screw too much, then forcing the knuckle joint down. Since the 65 is low angle, there's not much metal right behind the mouth so it's not very strong.

It's also a fairly large plane by block plane standards so make sure it fits your hand before you buy.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Rucci View Post
    Good God man why do you need that many planes?
    -Dan

Dan

There is an important different between the #60 1/2 and the #65, this being (as Mike noted) the width of the plane. The #65 is much wider. This will suit one person better than another. Similarly for the #60 1/2 - its narrower body will be preferred by some and not others.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ps Louis, that is cheating - they are not all block planes

Blog Entries
    I thought I was bad until seeing Louis' and Derek's hoards.

Heck my accumulation is pretty normal I guess.

Have to take a picture tomorrow.

jim

Yeah, me too, I guess seven 60 1/2 planes is just security not hoarding.