Thread: OT: Can I do this with Outlook Express?

OT: Can I do this with Outlook Express?

Hello,

I've been called to jury duty next week so I'm trying to come up with a way that I can do some work on a laptop while I am waiting on Monday.

I am a teacher and have many assignments and test that have all been submitted by email. I have them on my Outlook Express right now and the messages are not on the server anymore.

Is there a way that I can copy these messages in OE and then read them on the laptop? The laptop does not have a modem so I cannot forward these messages to myself then use OE on the laptop to check my email.

Thanks
    Rusty
    Rusty Hughes

This should have been here

If you have a CDR or CDRW, You could create a backup of OE and burn it to a CD, then copy it into OE on your laptop. I did that when I had to install a new harddrive in my machine. It worked perfectly.

Access the HELP files on your system for instructions on backing up OE. It will, however, copy all the folders and messages. No option in that.

Hope this helps.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

markus shaffer Guest
    if i'm not mistaken, you chould be able to open the email document in outlook express, select all the text, then paste it into a microsoft word file and save the file. it should work with any word processing program. i would create a separate document for each email and title with the subject of the email.

good luck.

-markus

The problem w/outlook express is that is only exports to OutLook or MS Exchange.

If you have a full copy of Outlook on your machine (not just outlook express) you could export them to Outlook and then you would be able to export them w/Outlook to a .PST file and put that file on your laptop and the open it with outlook --- real easy eh??

Another option would be to forward to someone else who has Outlook or some other email software that can export them to a readable form.

Another option would be use the a CDR as suggested, but you need to to find the C:\Windows\Application Data\Indentities\(your id folder)\Outlook Express folder and there you will see the files that contain your OE Mail.. just copy them to a CD and put them in the same path (though the ID folder is a different name) on your laptop and you will see your mail in OE on the laptop.. "NOTE" that will overwrite existing mail there!!!!

This is for Win95 & 98, if you have 2000 or XP, the path above is C:\documents and settings\(your profile folder)\Local Settings\Application Data\Indentities\(your id folder)\Outlook Express ... I think, something close to that..

Anywhere that is where the messages are!! Hope this helps.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Steve K Guest

This may work

You will have to do them one message at a time but you can choose File>save as> and then save them to your hard drive. You can save them as mail documents, html, or txt. I would try it with a couple as a test first to see if it will work for what you want to do. Then you could burn them to a disk for your laptop.

Steve

Rusty, this has worked for me in the past and permits the transfer of all of the outlook express files on one computer simulltaneously to another computer.

1. On both computers perform a search for all dbx files by typing *.dbx in the edit, find, find what box.
    2. Make a note of the folder and location of the folder that contains these files on each computer.
    3. Copy these files to differently named folders on some type of removable media, e.g. Folder A1 for Computer A containing the original OE messages and Folder B1 for the Original OE messages on your laptop (Computer B).
    4. Delete the files, but not the folder, in the folder in Computer B that contains the dbx files.
    5. Select all of the files in folder A1 and drag and drop them into the now empty OE message folder on Computer B.
    6. At your leisure, you can now open OE on Computer B and proceed to process the messages.
    7. After saving the files, copy the revised dbx files on Computer B to a folder on removable media named B2.
    8. At this point your orininal OE files from computer A are in folder A1, your original OE files fro your laptop are in folder B1, and your processed OE files you got from Computer A and processed on Computer B are now in folder B2. You can now decide which computer you want to keep each set of files or messages on, and just drag and drop each set of files to the OE folder on the computer where you want to keep them.
    Jerry Doan

Here's a thought, Rusty...

I have a sure fire way of getting out of jury duty altogether...Just tell the attorney during the interview phase that you are a good citizen and can spot a guilty person by just looking at them.

Next, please......

Re: Here's a thought, Rusty...

Originally posted by Kurt Krauter in Indy
    Just tell the attorney during the interview phase that you are a good citizen and can spot a guilty person by just looking at them.
    Actually, I was going to tell him that I'm the father of 5 kids and I have had plenty of practice of picking out the guilty ones.
    Rusty Hughes

What a brilliant idea!!!

Originally posted by Rusty Hughes, Indy
    Actually, I was going to tell him that I'm the father of 5 kids and I have had plenty of practice of picking out the guilty ones.
    Wish I'd have thought of that.

Kurt